Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2010, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattybirds View Post
For the hydroseeding, Would anyone know what the price of that, for 3 acres (just to compare what you all would charge to what is available in my area)
.08 sf

http://www.thecorporategrounds.com/H...Calculato.html

or rent one and do it yourself for around .02 sf
Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Anytime you are going from weeds to grass round-up MUST be applied. Spend the extra money and make 2 applications.

If you till the weeds over, you are doing nothing but mixing them into the soil and asking them to sprout...
That is true with weeds, like quackgrass, however, even with that it is less work and expense to hit, whatever does regrow.

If the ground is, lousy, compacted, or whatever, there is no substitute for cultivation.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm located in South Central PA, as of now the ground is extremely dry, and the ground is hard. Our Spring and Fall on the other hand is just the opposite. I was thinking of tilling the land more towards late August, early September when the ground would hopefully moisten up a bit. but Smallaxe you say you do recommend to roll, or not? I agree with straw not helping keeping weeds out, but I'm not exactly sure what i should do to keep the seed intact and keep the moisture in so much, if i would have problems irrigating the lawn. For the hydroseeding, Would anyone know what the price of that, for 3 acres (just to compare what you all would charge to what is available in my area)
Rolling loose soil causes compaction. Rolling wet soil is even worse. level the ground with a drag of some sort when the soil is dry, so as not to compact it with the tractor, so much. Plant the seed, then soak it down.

If you can't irrigate all 3 acres, irrigate a section that you can keep moist. Don't spread yourself too thin. Pick an area, and keep it perfectly moist, all the time, until it is old enough to dry up a bit. It is better to have 1/2 acre of good turf, than 3 acres of dusty weeds. Whatever lawn goes into winter well adjusted and stablished will be fine next spring.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm located in South Central PA, as of now the ground is extremely dry, and the ground is hard. Would anyone know what the price of that, for 3 acres (just to compare what you all would charge to what is available in my area)
You asked the price of hydro seeding. There is no set rule and prices can vary a lot. Just to give you some idea my price this year per acre to hydroseed is $ 2250.00 an acre on one acre or more. It might be possible to find someone cheaper but I doubt it would be much less than $ 1750 an acre or someone might charge more but probably if they were much over $ 3000.00 an acre I would keep looking.

Another option for you might be to rent a hydroseeder. We rent ours for $ 175.00 a day and even if you had to pay a bit more you could go that route and probably do it for a few thousand.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Rolling loose soil causes compaction. Rolling wet soil is even worse. level the ground with a drag of some sort when the soil is dry, so as not to compact it with the tractor, so much. Plant the seed, then soak it down.
This is why we aerate and spread 50 lbs of gypsum/sqf. the year after seeding/sodding. IMO you should till, run the harley rake, use the drag mats and the roll with a heavy roller.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is why we aerate and spread 50 lbs of gypsum/sqf. the year after seeding/sodding...
This may be fine in some soils, that are sandier than, they are clayey...

Why is rolling so important, after dragging? that you're willing to work for years, relieving compaction?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
Just to give you some idea my price this year per acre to hydroseed is $ 2250.00 an acre on one acre or more.
Hey TB, would you consider coming down to Raleigh? My partner just finished logging 8 acres and we are trying to put together 2 soccer and 2 Lacrosse fields.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Thanks!
jon
Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Why is rolling so important, after dragging? that you're willing to work for years, relieving compaction?
Dragging makes it mostly flat and rolling compresses the lawn so it does not settle un-evenly Then you can go back after rolling and rake in the low spots.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Dragging makes it mostly flat and rolling compresses the lawn so it does not settle un-evenly Then you can go back after rolling and rake in the low spots.
Water saturation, does a more thorough, and even job of that. Then when it dries it is full of air, and structure forms during that process. Superficial raking with a broom rake may or may not be desirable.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
Hey TB, would you consider coming down to Raleigh? My partner just finished logging 8 acres and we are trying to put together 2 soccer and 2 Lacrosse fields.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Thanks!
jon
Thanks for the offer Jon, If it is after it's too cold to seed here I might think about it. Some warmer weather might be nice. There is an IBM facility somehere near Raleigh that I did some of the seeding on ages ago. I have hydroseeded a lot of places including the Virgin Islands and even Baku in Azerbaijan which is on the Caspian Sea south of Russia. You are probably better off finding someone local though. The Hydro Seeding Association has a list of local contractors at www.HydroSeedingExperts.com if you need someone to seed it otherwise if your timetable is Nov or Dec I might think about a few days in nicer weather. Thanks again.

Tags
lawn , renovation , seeding , tilling