Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

RP 12' pop up pressure adjustment >>

I am a homeowner and have a 12' pop up in one my by beds. The head is hooked to one of the zones that has rotors for the yard. I dont need to water the bed as much as that area of the yard.

What options do I have to lower the pressure so even though it comes on with the rotors it doesnt water very much? Any other ideas?

thanks,
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
I am a homeowner and have a 12' pop up in one my by beds. The head is hooked to one of the zones that has rotors for the yard. I dont need to water the bed as much as that area of the yard.

What options do I have to lower the pressure so even though it comes on with the rotors it doesnt water very much? Any other ideas?

thanks,
Firstly, assuming the rotors are in place to water the lawns and not other gardens, this doesn't really sound ideal at all from a zoning perspective, and you may benefit from talking with a professional in your area about the "bigger picture"...

BUT, to your question directly, you need to match the volume of water coming out of the pop up as closely as possible to the rotors, so that you achieve a similar amount of precipitation over the same time period. (or less)

There are a few ways to do this, mostly all mickey mouse when it really comes down to it -in my opinion- and really the only one I would consider would be to install an MP Rotator.

I hope this gives a little direction, but I would suggest calling a contractor in your area.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since your other post says this is a new install, you should call your "contractor" and have him come fix this for you. Sprays and rotors should not be on the same zone, nor should turf and bed areas. What you're describing is just wrong and the only right way to fix it is to put the spray on a spary zone that is watering a simular plant material. Anything else is just a band-aid.

You're description of the work in the valve boxes in addition to this leads me to believe you hired the hack with the lowest possible bid, and probably got what you paid for. You're choices are to learn to live with it, and waste a lot of water in the process, or hire someone that knows what they're doing to come do what should have been done right the first time. Fixing it will most certainly cost more than it would have to do it right to begin with. Not fixing it will, over time, also cost more than it would have to do it right to begin with.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

bcg, well said
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put a smaller nozzle in the 12" and call it done.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Put a smaller nozzle in the 12" and call it done.
But it reduces the radius and may lose coverage.

Yes this head should be separated from the turf heads.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
I am a homeowner and have a 12' pop up in one my by beds. The head is hooked to one of the zones that has rotors for the yard.
Have the piker you hired tie this head into one of your other bed zones and get it off the rotor zone.

Couldn't agree more with bcg's comments.

Have your guy do this at no cost to you......or learn to accept it due to who you chose to do the work.

For what it's worth another band-aid modification would be to convert to Netafim or drip in this bed to reduce the water use.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend that you install a flex line to the head (the blue style at home depot) and you can double it over a tad to crimp (lower the pressure) so that head has less pressure. Adjust the amount of the crimp to adjust the head pressure a tad.

I think this method will serve you well, and best match the "design" of your system.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

install shrubblers