Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
At risk of unleashing the wrath of the critics ... I agree in general, however technically I don't. Take for example RB MPR 12F. If you take ratios of high to low for pressure, radius and flow, you will see they are not equivalent.

I'll also add that RB claims their rotary nozzles can be zoned with their standard rotors (5000)

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/pr...aryNozzles.htm
The MP1000 looks like it will do the same thing as the MP Rotator. Currently there is a 1812 in there so I dont know if that makes a difference.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
At risk of unleashing the wrath of the critics ... I agree in general, however technically I don't. Take for example RB MPR 12F. If you take ratios of high to low for pressure, radius and flow, you will see they are not equivalent.

I'll also add that RB claims their rotary nozzles can be zoned with their standard rotors (5000)

I am only speaking in general terms here.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

The way i read it Rainbird says the rotators match up with their MPR nozzle sets not their standard set. You could make them match some of the standard tree nozzles if you wanted but not all.

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/pr...mprNozzles.htm
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
Thanks... this thing goes all the way down to .16GPM. That is definatly better then the 1.5GPM I have in there now.

Great suggestion guys.
HUH? What are you talking about ..... your sprays or your rotors?

The point here is to get a precipitation rate that is appropriate for the bed. I seriously doubt a 0.16 GPM nozzle is going to cut it on a rotor zone. You need to check the outputs of your rotor nozzles before you can even begin to get an idea of an appropriate nozzle. Ideally you would want to calculate/audit your rotor zones PR, then calculate an appropriate PR for the bed based on plants and available nozzles. While it is unlikely you will get it exact, you might be able to get something close.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Contracting View Post
The way i read it Rainbird says the rotators match up with their MPR nozzle sets not their standard set. You could make them match some of the standard tree nozzles if you wanted but not all.

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/pr...mprNozzles.htm
Ayyy, yes, it does appear you will have an easier time matching PR with the RB rotary nozzles using the 5000 MPR nozzle trees vs. the rain curtain nozzle tree.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

The rotary nozzles will match the MPR 5004 nozzles and can be zoned together. If you're going to use the standard 5004 nozzles, you'll have to make your own calculations to see if it will work.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks... this thing goes all the way down to .16GPM. That is definatly better then the 1.5GPM I have in there now.

Great suggestion guys.
Like Kiril said, GPM is really irrelevant. You need to be concerned with incher per hour.

In general, you can figure rotors to be around 1/2 in/hr and sprays to be around 1.5 in/hr. This isn't always the case but it is a good starting point that covers most installations.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
HUH? What are you talking about ..... your sprays or your rotors?

The point here is to get a precipitation rate that is appropriate for the bed. I seriously doubt a 0.16 GPM nozzle is going to cut it on a rotor zone. You need to check the outputs of your rotor nozzles before you can even begin to get an idea of an appropriate nozzle. Ideally you would want to calculate/audit your rotor zones PR, then calculate an appropriate PR for the bed based on plants and available nozzles. While it is unlikely you will get it exact, you might be able to get something close.
Im talking about the spray in the bed. It has a 1.5GPM nozzle (might not be called a nozzle) on it now which is way more precep then a .16GPM. Am I not understanding that correctly?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Like Kiril said, GPM is really irrelevant. You need to be concerned with incher per hour.

In general, you can figure rotors to be around 1/2 in/hr and sprays to be around 1.5 in/hr. This isn't always the case but it is a good starting point that covers most installations.
ahh ok, I was thinking GPM directly relates to in/hr with some converstion of course. So what is a good in/hr for this bed considering this zone will be on 20min. I know plant watering needs come in to play her but generally what should I be looking for.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Im talking about the spray in the bed. It has a 1.5GPM nozzle (might not be called a nozzle) on it now which is way more precep then a .16GPM. Am I not understanding that correctly?
No. Nozzle output does not correlate to PR without reference to area.