Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Residential Z turn

I'm looking to start a lawn maintence business in the spring. Most of the lawns I would be servicing are between .33 and .5 acres and that is with the house. So my question is for the first season could I get away with using a heavy duty residentail Z turn for the first season. Planning on doing only 8-12 lawns first season.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you could do that.

Things to think about:
- Are there any gates that might restrict access of the zturn?
- Will the purchase of the zturn and only having 8-12 customers cause you to operate at a loss for the year, if so, do you have income to live on
- Z-turn usually means you need a trailer

Make sure to go to several dealers and demo the equipment and find which mower you like best.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that I re-read your post, I wanted to make sure.. Are you asking if you could get away with buying a residential quality machine like at Home Depot?

If so, I'll tell you, yes you can get away with it, but are you in this for the long haul? If so, you might tear up that little Z before you're ready to purchase a new one. I think most people will tell you to buy a used, commercial grade. You'll get more life out of it and you might be happier with the results.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

brand new scag freedom z 52 in new 5200 commerical warranty
scag 52 mower
old faithfull yazoo kees 22in walkbehind
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

There's no need to have mower with a 52'' deck if the property is just half an acre. You'd prob be better off buying a used walk behind no bigger than 48'' bc of the gate thing.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok i made the same mistake your about to make. A couple of years ago (when i was 16) i started my own lawn care business and i bought a residental zero turn. It was an exmark quest. I sold it within a year and upgraded to a commercial mower. My point is if you plan on mowing about 10 lawns you might as well get a commercial mower because in a year or two your going to want to play with the big dogs and your going loose your ass on the fist mower you bought. (i learned this the hard way) no residential mower will ever compare to the power, speed, and durability of a commercial unit.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A commercial walk behind will absolutely smoke a residential zero turn in terms of productivity.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some resi Z's will hold up to light commercial use, the Toro Titan series is one of them.

Stay away from anything from a box store, especially the Cub RZT's and the box store Deeres. Cheap, low end crap.
18' flatbed w/7,000 lb winch
Misc handhelds
Husky chainsaws
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As others have stated buying a used commercial Z-turn or walk-behind is overall the best way to go but it does have a major drawback.

Since you have no control of what used mowers are for sale at any given time it could take weeks or even months for the right mower for you to come up for sale and someone else may buy it first. The mower may be too new, too old, wrong size, (wrong color- women only LOL) priced too high, etc.

For the size yards you plan on doing it needs to be small. A 32" walk-behind or Z-turn. Husqvarna makes a 30" Z-turn that should fit through any gate. Link is below.

If you do buy a new residential mower use it for at least 3 seasons or until it starts having problems & nickle and diming you causing downtime.

Selling it in very good to excellent condition after just one season of use is not too bright as the biggest drop in depreciation just like cars, trucks, motorcycles is in the first year. By waiting till at least 3 seasons of use before selling it you will get your money's worth & most of the useful life out of it before selling. Future mechanical problems are then the next owner's headache, not yours.

Good luck in business and your decision.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9
Old 07-24-2010, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
As others have stated buying a used commercial Z-turn or walk-behind is overall the best way to go but it does have a major drawback.

Since you have no control of what used mowers are for sale at any given time it could take weeks or even months for the right mower for you to come up for sale and someone else may buy it first. The mower may be too new, too old, wrong size, (wrong color- women only LOL) priced too high, etc.

For the size yards you plan on doing it needs to be small. A 32" walk-behind or Z-turn. Husqvarna makes a 30" Z-turn that should fit through any gate. Link is below.

If you do buy a new residential mower use it for at least 3 seasons or until it starts having problems & nickle and diming you causing downtime.

Selling it in very good to excellent condition after just one season of use is not too bright as the biggest drop in depreciation just like cars, trucks, motorcycles is in the first year. By waiting till at least 3 seasons of use before selling it you will get your money's worth & most of the useful life out of it before selling. Future mechanical problems are then the next owner's headache, not yours.

Good luck in business and your decision.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9
That Husqvarna RZ3016 that you're linking is a homeowner unit also. I don't recommend it for commercial use.