Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a good story.

My Dad's friends and a co-worker of his worked at the same residential remodeling company. They both quit about the same time to start thier own business. We'll call my friend #1 and the other guy #2.

#2 decided he was going to have top of the line equipment. Bought brand new trucks, new tools etc. etc.

#1 continued to use his old Ford van. Beat up and rusting and the tools he already had.

#2 had more contracts and so forth due to advertising and what not while #1 kept chugging along at a steady pace.

Times got slow for both. #2 couldn't keep up with his monthly payments and eventually folded (long story short). While #1 only had to worry about making his mortgage payments.

I'm not saying it doesnt help to have nice things and equipment. But just starting out especially during our recession the quality of work you do is more important than the quality of your machines.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've seen plenty of people who have just as old of trucks as I do, if not older sometimes. New trucks are nice, but not a necessity. Just make sure it is clean
Had my truck repainted last week for just that reason.

I drive a 95 Silverado. But one of my best friends is a master mechanic at the local dealership, so I'm able to keep up with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark.KC View Post
Here's a good story.

My Dad's friends and a co-worker of his worked at the same residential remodeling company. They both quit about the same time to start thier own business. We'll call my friend #1 and the other guy #2.

#2 decided he was going to have top of the line equipment. Bought brand new trucks, new tools etc. etc.

#1 continued to use his old Ford van. Beat up and rusting and the tools he already had.

#2 had more contracts and so forth due to advertising and what not while #1 kept chugging along at a steady pace.

Times got slow for both. #2 couldn't keep up with his monthly payments and eventually folded (long story short). While #1 only had to worry about making his mortgage payments.

I'm not saying it doesnt help to have nice things and equipment. But just starting out especially during our recession the quality of work you do is more important than the quality of your machines.

Hope this helps!
That's what I'm saying man. I'm trying to keep my overhead to BARE minimum. I hate payments more than anything.

When I turned 17 my grandmother went out and bought me the car I choose, an 05 Cobalt SS supercharged for 12k. I loved that thing, but I dreaded it when it came around to that time of the month the bank was wanting money. I didn't have a great job, I was barely paying for the car, insurance, and gas. 6 months later I sold that thing for what I owed and never looked back, and the payment was only like $250/month.

I will never (HOPEFULLY) have a finance payment on anything other than the house I decide to move into for the rest of my life. I've seen my parents file bankruptcy too many times to know what payments can do and to know how to handle my money.