Register free!

Old 07-29-2002, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Nutgrass

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice on Nutgrass. I put in a flower bed for a guy down here in Texas. There were some existing roses and small shrubs and a few Crepe Myrtles inside this bed when I started and he wanted to leave them. I dug it out, replaced the topsoil, laid heavy landscape fabric and mulch. No problems 3 months later with any other weeds except the Nutgrass. I have been pulling it every other week and spraying Kilzall every other week after I mow his yard to keep it in check. This is very tedious because of the shrubs and flowers throughout the bed. There has been only slight improvement over the past 3 months. Any suggestions how I can put this flower bed behind me and kill this Nutgrass once and for all. I appreciate any and all advice guys. Thanks a bunch
Old 07-29-2002, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I belive the plant is called Nutsedge. long thin blades and easy to pull. I use round up. Ask your local estension office what to use.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, Roundup is the same as Kilzall. The problem is all the shrubs and flowers around. You can't get very close to the shrubs or the Roundup will kill them also. Also with Nutsedge I don't think the Roundup will affect the tubers underground which is essentially the main problem with Nutgrass. Maybe I just need to cover the shrubs with plastic and spray at will. It just seems like there should be something out there that won't do so much damage to wanted plants. Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nutsedge is spread by rhizome, and technically not a grass. it is fairly easy t pull, but roots will then remain and show up again a week or so later. roundup will work, any 3-way type chemical (3-way, trimec, etc.) will not work to kill nutsedge.

if you are having difficulty in eradicating in a bed, or would like to get rid of nutsedge in your lawn, a chemical known as manage works extremely well.

hope this helps some.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, Roundup is the same as Kilzall. The problem is all the shrubs and flowers around. You can't get very close to the shrubs or the Roundup will kill them also. Also with Nutsedge I don't think the Roundup will affect the tubers underground which is essentially the main problem with Nutgrass. Maybe I just need to cover the shrubs with plastic and spray at will. It just seems like there should be something out there that won't do so much damage to wanted plants. Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Where can I find Manage. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, i know that lesco sells it. im sure that other fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, dealers sell it as well. im can't remember what company makes it right off the top of my head, but i can find out tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, manage is made by monsanto.

if you want more information on nutsedge,and how to control it, check out this website

nusedge
Old 07-29-2002, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Ohiolawnguy. I'm going to try it. Thanks for all the help guys. I usually don't have a lot of time to spend on this site, but when I do I really enjoy it. Looking forward to the winter.

Pepper
Old 07-29-2002, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a product called "Image". It seems to not harm anything but nutsedge. I use it on turf and in beds. It is kind of expensive and takes usually 2 or 3 applications to get all the nutsedge. However, it really works good. You should be able to get it at Lowes or Home Depot.