Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hanging fliers on the Mail box?

I know that you can't open the mailbox to put in fliers but can you hang them on the flag or the side of the mailbox? Maybe in the newspaper bin?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Newspaper bin yes... but not on or in the mail box.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$300 max fine per occurrence...Is it really worth it?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

ive put the half page black and white paper fliers in over 400 mailbox's in my neighborhood for 2 years and got most of my business. never had a problem. I dont no how else I would get my business other then this
Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check your STATE,,,, THEN check the County, then Check the CITY.

some citys dont allow and type of ads such as flyers.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Why would I check all of that city and county when the US Post office would tell me yes or no. I plan on going over to meet the postmaster tomorrow and see what he says about it.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

It's illegal to put anything without postage in or on a mailbox, thats a federal law, not state or citywide. As far as the newspaper bin, you should be good to go
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Title 18 U.S.C. § 1725 prohibits the deposit of unstamped "mailable matter" in a letterbox approved by the United States Postal Service, and violations are subject to a fine

3.1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1051804
Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
Title 18 U.S.C. § 1725 prohibits the deposit of unstamped "mailable matter" in a letterbox approved by the United States Postal Service, and violations are subject to a fine

3.1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1051804
MarcSmith summed it all up. I did that one year many many years ago not knowing that it was illegal... got a pretty nasty call from the postmaster and an explanation of the fine if I did it again (and a reminder that they have a copy of what I didstrubuted on file so if they see it again they will fine me for every occurance - every mail box I put something on).
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you get caught.....and with the budgets the way they are, your chances are much greater now than they were 5-10 years ago about getting caught. One mailbox could be a $300 fine...or about 150 stamps..., or some nice advertising in a local HOA newsletter...

Would you hate to get busted, and then blow you entire advertising budget for the next couple years... Its kind of like speeding... we all know its against the law, but we still do it. and when we caught, we btch and gripe about "could'nt the cop be doing something really productive with his time like catching theisfs, and rapists, or illegals" while the whole time we know we deserve to get caught...

I guess if you want to look like every 2 bit company that leaves crap stuck to the mail box, or unstamped flyers in the box, then have at it. Strive to be better than the other companies and do thing right...