Register free!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Marginal Soils, Marginal Turf

When a cheap client calls and wants to have a 'lawn' but doesn't want to 'invest' anything; has anyone just thrown out Annual Ryegrass in the Spring and tell them to mulch mow?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure your serious. But I'll bite. I would never risk my reputation doing work on a lawn that I knew would end up looking like crap at some point or even right away. People will see you working on the lawn, see the less than desirable results and associate it with you and your company. I walk away from situations like that. Someone is that cheap, I would advise them that if they want to just throw annual rye to go buy it and start throwing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Not sure your serious. But I'll bite. I would never risk my reputation doing work on a lawn that I knew would end up looking like crap at some point or even right away. People will see you working on the lawn, see the less than desirable results and associate it with you and your company. I walk away from situations like that. Someone is that cheap, I would advise them that if they want to just throw annual rye to go buy it and start throwing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good Point... But I am serious and look at it as a way for people to actually have a lawn that can be mowed w/out dust and add OM to the top layer of soil... I would add the promise to seed them in the fall with real grass and build a new client from someone who's normally not in the market...

My reputation is at a level that everyone would be pleased to see that I'm doing those folks a favor...