Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's Hear It (Pick a Skid Steer)

So we've been leasing a large frame skid steer for a few months now, and I'm tired of torching a thousand dollars a month. Decision time has arrived. Here are the options.

...But first, a little background. We only put about 40 hours a month on a skid and it's fairly light work at that. If we were running 30+ hours a week I would either continue leasing or purchase a new or nearly new machine. NOW for the options.

2000 Bobcat 873 with 2,700 hours. 30% tires. No known issues, but looks pretty rough being that it is coming from a costal area. $11,500

2000 Case 85xt broken hour meter (looks like it has about 2,400-2,800 judging by the original paint). 40% tires. This one comes with a bucket and forks. $9,900.00

1999 Case 95xt 2,500 hours. Original paint...machine looks perfect. Cab with heat. 50% tires. $14,000

I'm leaning more to the case machines, but I'm wondering if there are any major maintenance issues I should be concerned about. Keep in mind any machine we get is only going to see a couple hundred hours a year at most, and I am only looking to get about 5 years of service life out of it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the 873 or the 95xt. I felt that the 873 were a great machine, and i have a friend who runs a large paving company who upgrades there skid steers every other year , and he kept 2 of his 95's as back ups beacause he didnt want to part with them.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two 95XT's, other than hard on fuel they are still hard to beat in production type dirt moving. You could keep that 95 for another 5 years and you will likely not lose a dime in resale. Their resale value is that good. Its more machine than you need it sounds like but I would go with the 95XT.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much of an under performer is the 85xt going to be?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had one and I did not like that well. At my elevation with no turbo they were low on power. At lower elevations they work better. Same loader as 95xt good lift capacity just not as much power as the 95XT

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

40hrs a month of "fairly light work" I'd go with the 85XT. Like Ksss said, same loader without the extra grunt. If you were working it harder, running highflow, or working at altitude I'd go with the 95XT (my favorite Case machine- it hurt to say that being a Bobcat guy).
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say, I'm leaning towards the 85xt. For the price and location of the machine...I think it will fit our needs pretty well.