Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking to start up a lawn care buiness

I am in the process of starting up a lawn care business. Basically just mow lawns, edge, and trim and leaf removal. I don't plan on mulching right now. Just wanted to get my feet wet with just offering mowing services. I am talking with a guy right selling all his equipment including the trailer. All I have myself is a riding mower and want to get commercial quality products. I am wanting to this part time since I am not getting into this to live off of. Just looking for extra money. We do pretty well now with my wife having an excellent paying job.
The equipment the guy is selling is listed below:

Items included the following:

-6.5x12 Smith Trailer which includes Green Touch trimmer and blower racks. IT HAS NEW TIRES AS OF THE FALL of 2009. It has very little mileage on it and is in great condition. It also has landscaping sides so the mulch will stay in the trailer.

-Toro Z Master- 52" 23 HP Kawisaki Turbo Force Deck with 3 Position Adjustable Baffles- THIS MOWER COMES WITH A TWO BIN BAGGER that has been used for one fall season and has very little use. BAGGER WAS BOUGHT NEW for 1499.00. IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF IN ONE LEAF SEASON OF CLEAN-UPS.

This mower has ALWAYS been stored inside, and has never sat out at night! Oil changed with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-30 every 50 operating hours.. New oil filter every 2 oil changes. Great cosmetic condition.

Currently has 292.5 hours on it. Oil changed, new oil, air, and fuel filters installed. Also new spark plugs installed during oil change. New PTO clutch installed at 290 hours. Hydro Fluid changed at 200 hours as well as hydro filter. Blades will be sharp for

new owner.

Accessories included in sale:

-Striping Roller which adds tremendous definition to the mower stripes

-Toro OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) keeps grass out of beds and has 3 different settings. Open, 1/2 Open, and closed. BRAND NEW CHUTE GATE KIT RUBBER DEFLECTOR INSTALLED.

-Toro Suspension seat added. $500.00 Option which gives the operator a much smoother ride than the stock seat.

-Toro Hitch Kit which gives the Z the option to tow a tow-behind cart or lawn roller.

-Toro Proline- 36" Cutting Deck 15 HP Kohler Command Pro Engine

Great Condition starts on the first pull and has a great cut! Comes with a steel side bagger that holds 4.3 cubic feet of clippings.

Good mower for back yards. Has a chain stripe kit which gives the mower stripes nice deffintion. This mower has never pulled a sulky but certainly has the power to due so. The transmission shifts and operates flawlessy.

REDMAX HANDHELDS-

Redmax EBZ7150RH Back Pack Blower- 65cc Engine. Brand New in April of 2010. Still has the remainder of the 2 year warranty. This thing is a BEAST and will save you lots of time blowing grass of driveways with its impressive power.

Redmax BCZ2401S Strait Shaft Trimmer- 24cc Stratto Charged Engine. Great Condition

Redmax HEZ2601S Strait Shaft Edger- 26cc Stratto Charged Engine. Like New Condition. Rarely used, only ever went through 1 edger blade. A Brand new one is on for the new owner. Has great power to cut through those overgrown edges.

What would be a good OFFER for this equipment. Also is it to late in the summer to get new clients since we only have a bout 5 or 6 months of mowing season. Do you believe this is worth the investment.

Thanks for the opinions. Sorry for such a long post.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npat12 View Post
I am in the process of starting up a lawn care business. Basically just mow lawns, edge, and trim and leaf removal. I don't plan on mulching right now. Just wanted to get my feet wet with just offering mowing services. I am talking with a guy right selling all his equipment including the trailer. All I have myself is a riding mower and want to get commercial quality products. I am wanting to this part time since I am not getting into this to live off of. Just looking for extra money. We do pretty well now with my wife having an excellent paying job.
The equipment the guy is selling is listed below:

Items included the following:

-6.5x12 Smith Trailer which includes Green Touch trimmer and blower racks. IT HAS NEW TIRES AS OF THE FALL of 2009. It has very little mileage on it and is in great condition. It also has landscaping sides so the mulch will stay in the trailer.

-Toro Z Master- 52" 23 HP Kawisaki Turbo Force Deck with 3 Position Adjustable Baffles- THIS MOWER COMES WITH A TWO BIN BAGGER that has been used for one fall season and has very little use. BAGGER WAS BOUGHT NEW for 1499.00. IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF IN ONE LEAF SEASON OF CLEAN-UPS.

This mower has ALWAYS been stored inside, and has never sat out at night! Oil changed with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-30 every 50 operating hours.. New oil filter every 2 oil changes. Great cosmetic condition.

Currently has 292.5 hours on it. Oil changed, new oil, air, and fuel filters installed. Also new spark plugs installed during oil change. New PTO clutch installed at 290 hours. Hydro Fluid changed at 200 hours as well as hydro filter. Blades will be sharp for

new owner.

Accessories included in sale:

-Striping Roller which adds tremendous definition to the mower stripes

-Toro OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) keeps grass out of beds and has 3 different settings. Open, 1/2 Open, and closed. BRAND NEW CHUTE GATE KIT RUBBER DEFLECTOR INSTALLED.

-Toro Suspension seat added. $500.00 Option which gives the operator a much smoother ride than the stock seat.

-Toro Hitch Kit which gives the Z the option to tow a tow-behind cart or lawn roller.

-Toro Proline- 36" Cutting Deck 15 HP Kohler Command Pro Engine

Great Condition starts on the first pull and has a great cut! Comes with a steel side bagger that holds 4.3 cubic feet of clippings.

Good mower for back yards. Has a chain stripe kit which gives the mower stripes nice deffintion. This mower has never pulled a sulky but certainly has the power to due so. The transmission shifts and operates flawlessy.

REDMAX HANDHELDS-

Redmax EBZ7150RH Back Pack Blower- 65cc Engine. Brand New in April of 2010. Still has the remainder of the 2 year warranty. This thing is a BEAST and will save you lots of time blowing grass of driveways with its impressive power.

Redmax BCZ2401S Strait Shaft Trimmer- 24cc Stratto Charged Engine. Great Condition

Redmax HEZ2601S Strait Shaft Edger- 26cc Stratto Charged Engine. Like New Condition. Rarely used, only ever went through 1 edger blade. A Brand new one is on for the new owner. Has great power to cut through those overgrown edges.

What would be a good OFFER for this equipment. Also is it to late in the summer to get new clients since we only have a bout 5 or 6 months of mowing season. Do you believe this is worth the investment.

Thanks for the opinions. Sorry for such a long post.
Offer as much as you can afford. It sounds like you love the machines and nothing is too much for love.... good luck
Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No way.

All i see here is equipment?..Where is the work, contracts, etc?

You are also in Ohio...it's way to late in the already short cutting season you guys have to make it worth while trying to pick up accounts. What happened to this guys accounts..(unless you have the money for it and wanna be set up for leaf season and next season)

If you have a 3/4 ton or better truck...I would get insurance and a plow, and become a sub for this season. MUCH better profit margin, and real easy to get work.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Upslope,

I know its pretty late in the summer this year to pick up accounts. My plan is to at least get a couple accts. and then hit it hard during leaf season. Then start in the beginning of the year to try to get customers for next year. I just felt like this is a good opportunity to pick up some commercial equipment that I feel is at a good price. You got to start somewhere right.

Also, he already sold the accts.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

npat12, i would advise against it, prices here are getting very low. $40 dollar yards going for $17. dont know were in OHIO you are but around here you are going to need more than just a mower with a bagger for leaves.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
npat12, i would advise against it, prices here are getting very low. $40 dollar yards going for $17. dont know were in OHIO you are but around here you are going to need more than just a mower with a bagger for leaves.
Im sorry to hear that. I live near the coast. A town home with on the beach with less than .15 acres goes for 70 bucks a pop.

off the island your looking at 35 for a 1/4 acre.

As to starting a lawn care biz, good luck, we are in our second season here and were doing great. Alittle tip, never finance your hand held equipment.

As for the race issue, its all about the leadership as an owner. I see crews here that do great work with many different races working, then again the turn and burn companies dont do so well. Ive been picking / marketing my services on the turn and burn clients, one mow for free and then there hooked.

I have 2 employees + myself.
A normall 1/4 acre lot takes 15 - 20 min for 35 bucks, 3 - 4 of those an hour, turns a good profit.

Leaf season isnt as lucrative, dont het your hopes up on turning a profit on that.

B & H Lawncare & Landscaping, LLC
http://www.bhlawncare.biz

2008 F-550 Super Duty w/ 8' Dump
2007 F-450 Super Duty (4 door) w/ 10' Flatbed
20' 10,000lb Landscape Trailer
18' enclosed cargo trailer
2011 MF 1635
2010 Exmark 52'' Lazer Z ASX
2010 Exmark 36'' Turf Tracer HP w/ platform
2011 Exmark Commercial 21
2001 Husquvarna 42'' Walk-behind w/ platform
Echo / Redmax hand tools
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogielski View Post
Leaf season isnt as lucrative, dont het your hopes up on turning a profit on that.
You should probably recheck your numbers, leaf season should be more lucrative, not less.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool thread guys.

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wher in ohio you startin up at bud?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Lazer Cut,

I'm in Cincinnati....