Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question For All Equipment Operators

Hey guys,

We took delivery of a new Deere 325 skid loader today upgrading from our Deere 250 Series 2 in our rental fleet, I jumped in it for a ride and noticed I had to nearly bury the throttle to get any decent ground speed. I immediately told the paper pushing salesman the thing was waaay slower than our 250, He said I didn't have it wide open is why.

Well, We never had to run the 250 wide open to get any ground speed ?

The 250 is rated 6.8 mph, The 325 is rated at 7.0 mph. My boss got in the 325 and got me in the 250, He told me to drive it like I stole it. We started side by side and after 2 circles around the parking lot I was fixing to lap him, This was with the smooth talking salesman standing there watching.

Boss isn't happy about having to run the thing wide open but took it anyway.

My question to you guys is;

Do you have to run your equipment wide open to get any kind of ground speed or to make it productive ?

I just have this feeling some of my regular contractors are going to find this new unit less productive and cost more in rental time.

Thanks

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

If you run it 3/4 rpm it should travel 3/4 of full speed. Power is different, but unloaded speed is directly related to engine rpm.
Skidsteer
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Is your 325 E/H controls? They are more sensitive to RPM to get ground speed and you lose a little top end ground speed at WOT as well compared to mechanical linkage controls. Other thing to remember is that you won't get full ground speed out of an e/h Deere for a couple minutes until the hydraulic fluid reaches a certain temp. Built into the programming as a protection/warm up feature from what I was told.
Should have gotten a 2-speed maybe.