Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL, ******. Make sure your lawn and home exterior blows everyone away around you. I've got a bad ass water feature and tricked out landscaping. Who wouldn't want a lawncare dude as their neighbor? Please do tell, what does he do for a living?? I'm very curious.
(918) 760-0322

Lawn Care
Leaf Removal
Landscaper
Firewood Delivery
Debris Removal
Tree Care and Removal
Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

One funny example: I had a lady calculate my wage to the minute, and said I was insanely high. This was a greatly UNDER priced lawn I will add. i laughed and asked how she figured my greatly overpriced wage.

Then i pointed out she forgot to multiply time on site by 3, since at the time i had 2 guys working with me.

She is a math teacher, and obviously clueless when it comes to business.

If questioned, you do not have to answer but if you feel obligated to point out that you must have insurance, commercial gear, spend unbillable hours doing maintenance and billing, and earn a profit. Be sure you leave a professional finish and never feel you have to justify yourself.

In those conversations, he who speaks last usually loses. At some point just say "Well it is a professional service, you could have a uninsured neighborhood kid do it with junk mower...just make sure your homeowners covers it" Let them say whatever...do not say anymore or you lose your point.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i give them the " im sorry you cant afford a professional service"

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
when i bought the house i am currently in the guy next door came over to introduce himself. we started talking and he asked what i did for a living, i told him i own a landscape and lawn maintenance company. he says " oh you do that on the side, whats your real job". i told him that is all i do, he says well there is no way that someone that cuts grass for a living is going to live next to me. i told him right then i know a few realitors for when he is ready to sell.
Are you serious? what a prick. He probably has 20,000 in credit card debt and a BMW worth half of what he owes. If there is one thing I can not stand, it is people who think they are better then everyone else. When I sold my F150, the guy asked me what I did. I told him I owned a lawn maintenance company. He said " no wonder your getting rid of this note". I handed him the title(that I recieved the day I bought the truck), and he handed me his bank paperwork. His payoff was $19,900!!!!! for $14,000 truck. I got quite a chuckle out of it. I get called yard ***** by quite a few of my friends in a half joking manner. I laugh and listen to them threaten to quit their job if they do not start making $250 a week for 50hrs of work soon. Then I yard ***** my paid for truck to the bank to make a deposit

Fully Insured and Tax Paying Proprietorship
2004 F150 FX4
6.5x14 Open Trailer
15/36 Gravely Pro Hydro
17/48 Gravely Pro Hydro w/ 2 wheel sulky
21 inch Snapper
3 Shindaiwa T-260s
Shindaiwa T-270
Echo 265-T
Stihl FS90R
Deere and Echo Blowers
Echo HC 150
A pitchfork that can pick up a yard of mulch in one swoop
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What too many of us are forgetting is the reputation we have we get from those employees on other guys crews making 5 bucks an hour under the table...the owner operator will make an honest and modest profit if it is all done legally and professionally

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If your customers want to think of you as their yard boy that just sweats all day and rolls in grass, let them think it.

Long as they keep paying the bill, everything is good.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The first thing I learned in Business School was that you are in business to make a profit, not a social statement. If your bottom line is not black (profitable), then you will not be in business very long.
44" Toro Proline WB / 15 HP Kawasaki
21" Sears Push Mower
Echo Trimmers
Echo Backpack Blowers
Solo Sprayers
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fairly certain that I DO NOT make more than the vast majority of my customers, and I rarely work for clients who make less than I. It seems as if working for residents who are in the > $100,000.00 a year club can not afford a true professional all inclusive lawn maintenance company. If you can provide the counties best work, along with high end customer service, word gets around in the right circles.... Just my niche here in Happy Valley.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally dont care what the customers think to them I can be a broke lawn boy but at the end of the day I know what I make. Alot of them dont understand what you actually make and what it costs to run a busniess depends on the job. As far as mowing they think you dont make nothing probally because you only make $40 on there yard but in the end you do 15 a day your making $600 minus costs making 2,000 to 2,500 a week bring home. But when you do mulching and make $1000 off a job or so they think you made too much but they dont understand ur employee's get paid and your bills insurance trucks everything else you barely make anything. But alot of people do think since your a landscaper you are living in a trailer and broke but its not true not me yet although I dont like to admit what I make I say Im always broke Im over 6 figures but I know alot of other companys who clear a few million a year minus write off's and I always love when I will go to bid a job every once in a while in my hummer lol or when I am going to check up on some guys at a job then they start to wonder or then they think I am making too much its better to just let them hate on you and think your broke I can care less they can sit in there homes saying look at them out there in the heat all sweaty and dirty carrying them block omg that would suck but half of them over spend them selves of there jobs fall threw or are so far in debt that they are worse than you are!! let them hate on you and you make your money. When my customers ask if I make a good living I saw I honestly dont know By the time I pay workers and payments and what not I dont know is there is anything left esp with people who never pay or are slow too. Every day when I leave I know I am making $65 an hour plus I make around $40 an hour on every employee so you do the math?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I could care less what people think. I have many customers with whom I am friendly with, while there are other customers I have not seen or spoken to all season. Does not matter to me as long as the checks keep rolling me. Very few of my customers look down on me, because I mow grass.