Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate politics

I got a situation and it is really ticking me off. I have been mowing a complex plus extras this season that went up for bid last year. I got the bid, doing a good job according to the residents and the board. Problem is there is one board member that is going against the grain because this persons "friend" that this person supposedly "doesn't really" know didn't't get the contract. The issue is I am going the extra mile at this place like.

All this for free

Ate the sales tax
Gave away 15 yards of installed play ground mulch
Re planted 20 flats of 8x4" pots of wave petunias because of the drought
Mulched and cut 3 yards of new beds
Constantly am cutting up huge fallen branches and removing off the property
Pick up garbage twice a week
trimmed many branches

and believe me the contract was waaaaay underbid to begin with.

Now this person is going out and taking pictures the day before I cut saying we are not weed whacking not spraying ect ect ect....... THE DAY BEFORE WE CUT!!!!!!!! a week between cuts!!!!!! With two days of rain in three weeks & 100 degree temps, all dead grass and you know what the first thing to pop up right WEEDS!!!!! Get this this PITA even went as far as to say the grass looks like crap and is all brown WELL NO CHEEZE SHIRLOCK NO IRRIGATION + NO RAIN FOR ALMOST A MONTH IN THE HIGH 90's = BROWN FREAKING GRASS! LOOK AROUND DUMMY!

Now the property manager doesn't even want to discuss this issue I am having anymore because she doesn't want to get in the middle even though she on several occasions drove out after we were there and did not see these issues that were photographed!!!!!!! and yes she knows about the "friend" trying to get the contract this season. I don't blame her though and dispite all this she has been great to work with. Now I take my own pictures ever since this crap started!!!!! I asked if this board member person even looks at the pictures I send and the prop manager says no! what a PITA taking all these pictures every 50 feet just for someone to ignore them and call me a lair.

Also I sprayed for hard surface control and because it was in the middle of the 3 weeks with no rain some of the weeds just wilted but did not die because the plants shut down because they don't have the normal absorbtion/uptake and this person called me a lair and I didn't spray at all!! I went and sent my guys back out with a double mix and this time cleared all hard surfaces also weed whacked because I didn't want to be called a lair again! Even took stupid pictures of my guys working with sprayers in hand!!

This person even went as far as to say a few residents left branches and I ignored them? Then I went back and made sure it was on common area picked them up and then was told I can't do that because I am not charging??????? Really now WTF?????

Also tried to discount me and say all the trees are overgrown in the complex WELL DUH I don't have the tree removal/trimming contract. But I can qouete whatever they want and they fire back that it was never an issue before when they damn well know the landscaper last year NEVER did the trees! But yet its my fault the trees are over grown??????? Again WTF

I am starting to really get hmmmmmmm how do I put this? I better not type it.

What do you all suppose I do before i lose it? and that is what this person (I suppose) wants me to do.

Input????
Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

charge more.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradseabridge View Post
charge more.
and lose a contract NEVER.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Idea! I will invite all board members for a walk through and when we are finished they will get copies of the letter I type up and they sign stating that all work has been satisfied to the contractual agreement thus far.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you from CT by any chance? This story sounds very familiar.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
No I am not from CT but from what I can gather this story rings the norm in this industry when you deal with unprofessional hacks that have no business being on any type of organized party/board that makes serious grown up decisions based ONLY for the betterment and stewardship of the development they were entrusted with. They should join the PTA if they want to be that way.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
i herd like that same thing at he dealer the other day
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

take notes and pictures yourself. You cant be going into a gun fight with a sharpened rock. You need to start building your case for if it does come to legal matters. Do interviews with members, homeowners, anybody that will help, that way there is no doubt in their mind that your are exceeding your contractual requirements
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a lawyer send then a cease n desist letter regarding defamation/slander...

or

Don't send letter...if they do not renew the contract with you next time, then sue em for defamation/slander!

Your giving away to many freebies & they still treat you like dirt, rather than doing everything possible to keep you happy in order to retain your services. Might be time to move on.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAhaulboy View Post
Have a lawyer send then a cease n desist letter regarding defamation/slander...

or

Don't send letter...if they do not renew the contract with you next time, then sue em for defamation/slander!

Your giving away to many freebies & they still treat you like dirt, rather than doing everything possible to keep you happy in order to retain your services. Might be time to move on.
Thanks for the idea FLAhaulboy. I went over there tonight with a worker because I am going to to cut there tomorrow and wanted to go over some key areas to be addressed. I was approached by a resident that stated she used to be a board member and was at the recent meeting. I was not there but sent a letter saying it was a pleasure working for them yadda yadda yadda....... Well after she stated she liked the old guys better because they went in there with a dozen Spanish guys and I only had 2. I was like I only use 2 guys during the drought, 4 in the spring during heavy growth and 3 workers in the mid season. She was acting like she had a gripe and said that they were done in 2 1/2 hours as opposed to my 8. I said I don't need that many because we work very efficiently and was sweet as pie to her never once sneering or anything like that. Then she said (ready for this as this literally blew me away) She goes "well I have been out of work before and I know you were probably on unemployment and was forced to take this complex but really can't handle it) WTF! I mentioned all my improvements that I made that WAS NOT DONE BY THE OTHER COMPANY she just looked at me not saying a thing. When i asked her what did they do that I am not doing she walked away with her backed turned to me.

Just for the record I quit my old 65k year IT job months before after I won the contract in the Jan. I worked a deal out with my employer and they let me go on the unemployment as a favor to me. When I started working in the spring I dropped the UE bennies and went full time. NOT BECAUSE i GOT LAID OFF, NOT BECAUSE I GOT FIRED BUT BECAUSE I LOVE THIS WORK AND CHOSE TO DO THIS. NOT BECAUSE OF A BAD ECONOMY, NOT BECAUSE i HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO TO MAKE MONEY. I was doing lawn and landscape for more than a year before I bid on this. I got it and already had 28 residential accounts and was bidding my a** off all late fall. I spent hundreds in design software and taught myself how to use it. I WAS DRIVING MY TRUCK AND TRAILER INTO A FURTUNE 50 COMPANY AND CHANGING OUT OF A SUIT AND TIE AFTER WORK IN MY TRAILER IN THE PARKING LOT!!!!! BECAUSE I LIKE THIS WORK!

I made the mistake of telling this story (not that they didn't't know) to a close friend that lives in the complex who is an acquittance to that person and some it must have got back to that "person" who is saying crap about me!

All this is becoming way to much when people are talking about me personally at meetings. Hate to say it but I may walk away from this one.

I got out of my old job because of stress and took a pay decrease to be my own boss and not have to deal with BS office politics!. Seems people are really FU all over no matter what you do or where you go.

Last edited by Total Grounds Maintenance; 07-23-2010 at 10:20 PM.