Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl 4 mix problems

Hello to all ,

Was wondering if anyone else seems to be having trouble with there stihl 4mix handhelds lately ...I have 3 peices that in the last 6 months just seem to wanna stall ...I use 93 octane fuel , full synthetic stihl oil ...Now my 2cycle has absolutely no problems at all , just the 4mix.....I just bought a 110 stick edger and it was perfect when i came back from the dealer not even 3 weeks later it just seems to wanna cut out if it idles ....Is there problems with the 4mix since they have puttin up to 10% ethanol in fuel ? If so , what do you guys use as an extra additive ?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Age of the units? How much service? Valves adjusted at about 150 hours?

The ethanol question is a good one. I had to replace a carb on a Stihl chain saw because the ethanol destroyed a seal. I'm unsure why the ethanol has not done damage to my other Stihl products. The chain saw gets little use, but the other Stihl handheld units (four of them) get constant use.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't offer any technical advice on the subject, but can tell you that you are not the only one. We have 2 FS90R's that are 2 years old now and to be honest have been totally abused. Used only 87 octane fuel and Valvoline 2 stroke oil mix 50-1 and to add to the abuse I work for the city that I live in and we get class D inmates from the city jail on work realease to do all the trimming and never had a problem with either weedeater. Trust me if these guy's can't break it then that really stands for something.
At the first of this spring we bought a 3rd 90R new from the dealer. Been nothing but junk from day 1 and we actually wanted to give this one a better start in life. Bought plenty of the Stihl oil and ran only premium fuel. This trimmer has no power, very slow to accelerate and stalls all the time. Several trips back to the dealer have been no improvement. If we had not had such good results out of the other 2 trimmers then I would have never bought another one, so I don't know what the deal is. When we first took the trimmer back to the dealer his first question was what oil and what fuel we used. He was shocked when we told him, then mentioned how we treat the 2 older units and he said they should never lasted this long. As far as the ethanol, it is a good theroy but I doubt it is the culprit.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought a 90r weedwacker about 3 weeks ago and having the same problem, not only with a stalling but , after the first few times of use during the day it starts great, but each and everytime after that it wants to stall and then very hard to start, until the next day , and the cycle starts all over again~!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the fix is simple -dont buy sthil 4 mix
Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
the fix is simple -dont buy sthil 4 mix
WOW !! That is the most technical answer i have ever heard ..glad you can chime in with absolutely nothing to say ....Kinda too late for that isnt it ? geesh..
Old 08-01-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Age of the units? How much service? Valves adjusted at about 150 hours?

The ethanol question is a good one. I had to replace a carb on a Stihl chain saw because the ethanol destroyed a seal. I'm unsure why the ethanol has not done damage to my other Stihl products. The chain saw gets little use, but the other Stihl handheld units (four of them) get constant use.
The 110 edger is under a month , the older 110 is 5 years old ..I have 4 br600s with no probs at all ..the 90 weed eater is about a year old ....like i said all my 2 cycle is just fine ...just tryin to see if anyone else had any issues and how they resolved them ...I can always just up the idle a bit , but there is something going on ..all this stuff has only started in last 6-8 months ....before that all my 4mix stuff never had a problem for years with very little maint..i have tried Different gas stations also ..
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Find another dealer.Find one with a Gold level mechanic. Way too much is blamed on ethanol. It is a convenient scapegoat for a lack of knowledge. One thing to check, remove the a/f, hold unit in it's normal operating position, then turn it on its side, carb down. See if fuel leaks out. If it does, it might be the tank vent leaking fuel into the a/f chamber. That will definitely cause stalling.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try the idel adjustment part 4mix valve adjustment.pdf
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Try the idel adjustment part Attachment 195659
Thanks Unknown ...that is a good read ....Really appreciate the info .