Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Find another dealer.Find one with a Gold level mechanic. Way too much is blamed on ethanol. It is a convenient scapegoat for a lack of knowledge. One thing to check, remove the a/f, hold unit in it's normal operating position, then turn it on its side, carb down. See if fuel leaks out. If it does, it might be the tank vent leaking fuel into the a/f chamber. That will definitely cause stalling.
I agree, its only 10% people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive had the same problem with my two FS 90Rs. I have a 2007 and a 2009 model and love the power and fuel efficiency of both but the 2009 doesnt have hardly any use to it and its already starting to act like my 2007 model, it wont idle without dying, I finally had to adjust the old one to give it some more juice I may try the same with the other. Today my old one just started reving up on my without me even touching the throttle. I recently bought a third trimmer but decided to go with Echo and I have to say although this trimmer is a two cycle and has smaller displacement than the Stihls, I'm very impressed. I guess I will try to do my best to fix the problem if anyone on here has any solutions. I love Stihl products and the company is great to deal with. Dont even get me started with Stihl gas caps though! POS!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got to stay on top of adjusting the valves on these 4 mix.......my 4-mix was at .012" after 4 mos. use on exhaust. Needs to be about .003"
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try replacing the tank vent. They seem to be an epidemic lately on the Stihl's. Also try the spark plug. If all fails then adjust the carburetor.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try adjusting valves first if you haven't done it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with lawnboy dan...

If you don't want to get bit by crocodiles, stay out of the water they inhabit...I owned Stihl in the past and the ONLY piece of equipment I owned that was made by Stihl that didn't give any problems was the 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, blower. What kind of blower? 2 stroke. What Stihl equipment did I have problems with? Not the 2 stoke. BAM! Don't want to adjust valves? 2 stroke. Don't want the issues of the 4 mix? 2 stroke. Want a good fix? You guessed it...Don't buy 4 mix!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Archer View Post
If you don't want to get bit by crocodiles, stay out of the water they inhabit...I owned Stihl in the past and the ONLY piece of equipment I owned that was made by Stihl that didn't give any problems was the 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, 2 stroke, blower. What kind of blower? 2 stroke. What Stihl equipment did I have problems with? Not the 2 stoke. BAM! Don't want to adjust valves? 2 stroke. Don't want the issues of the 4 mix? 2 stroke. Want a good fix? You guessed it...Don't buy 4 mix!
Been using 4 mix for 5 years...zero problems. I've had more starting problems from 2 strokes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Been using 4 mix for 5 years...zero problems. I've had more starting problems from 2 strokes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too...
I think the biggest problem with the 4mix engines is ignorance...
Mechanics have always been able to turn a screw...change a sparkplug or a fuel filter..to fix a 2 stroke trimmer....They have become complacent and are intimidated by the new technology...I've seen more than 1 guy ...that calls himself a tech...look with fear when laying it on the counter for repair...

The best advice I can give a mechanic is to get a broken 4mix engine..and do a complete teardown...every nut ..bolt..and bearing...once you get familiar with all the pieces..it should remove some of the mystery with them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Call me ignorant but...

some people don't have the luxury of being able to sit in the garage all day working on 4-mix engines in order to "figure them out", anymore than we have time to figure out the universe. You buy an FS110R for almost 400 dollars, you would think you wouldn't have to know why the atoms of the machine make it the issue it is...Most people don't have a wrench to fit the atoms on the 4-mix, or the time to turn every atom to get those machines working properly. I have yet to have one starting issue with any of my 2 strokes, or the 2 stroke Stihl blower I used to own.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Archer View Post
....Most people don't have a wrench to fit the atoms on the 4-mix, ....
A wrench comes with the machine.