Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just put in new sod for a home in the Beaverton area, a week and a half ago. About 3 weeks before that, the homeowner Round-Up sprayed both back and front lawns killing all top growth.

We sod cut and disposed the top layer. Added some some ammended topsoil and rototilled and layed ryegrass sod.

Got a call yesterday that some weed grass was growing "through" the sod. I wondered if it may have been the sod, because when we laid it, there were quite a few stub-cut stems that seemed unusual. Once I got there, I saw that was not the case. The sod, from JB Lawn, was fine.

There is a sedge-like plant that is growing through the sod. Some from like little nugget like things that feel like tiny 1/8" or 1/4" bulbs. The leaves are sort of sedge-like (grassy and lime green). Whereas the grass has grown maybe an inch in the last week and a half, these little plants pushing from beneath and through the sod have leaves 1" to 3" in the that time.

Homeowner tells me yesterday that this weed plant was in his yard before.

Right now, this is in an area about 7' x 12' in just part of the front lawn. None at all in the back.

I spent time with a sharp knife to be certain about the point of origin. And it for certain was not in the sod.

Anyone ever dealt with something like this? I've never seen this stuff grow in a turf area before anywhere that I've worked.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have that problem somewhere with day lillys seeding
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like Nutsedge which is a perennial that spreads by tubers. I have tried pulling it out each week thinking that it would eventually it will die off, but it always comes back. It needs to be killed with sedgehammer or similar spraying.
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nutsedge

With out pictures its hard to be positive but my opinion it probably is nutsedge. You cannot kill it with Round-up it will only burn the top half of the plant off. You need to use a product like Sedge-hammer or Dismiss. It sound like they have had a problem with this before and may take several treatments.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes --- does look like Yellow Nutsedge.

Apparently a durable plant.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea that sounds just like nutsedge.. if it didnt grow soo quick it wouldnt be that bad of a weed.. its strong stuff though a real pita in Jersey and pa.. its al over the place in turff.. ike the one dude said sedgehammer
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, if it were my own lawn, I think its somewhat attractive in the same way that some folks like daisies in the grass.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What you described are nutletts from the purple nutsedge. They can lie dormant for many years and you stirred them up by tilling or bringing them to the surface (or maybe not). You did right by tilling but it's really not your fault cause your damned if do and the same if you don't. They were there already (dormant)and the glyphosate won't get them all. Certainly, all the extra water being applied to the new lawn helps to bring them up too.

The customer will need to further treat with sedgehammer. You can't perform miracles on a lawn that was full of weeds and neglected. Again, how can you be responsible for future weeds that have been previously dormant or weeds seeds present not yet germinated?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Like rob said - do not see how it is your fault...inform the homeowner of sedgehammer or dismiss -- either should be effective in eliminating the problem......sedgehammer takes roughly 3 weeks...dismiss is faster but cost is higher, but also takes care of some broadleaf weeds too...were sedgehammer just resolves sedge...depending on homeowners budget dismiss may be a better investment if broadleafs are historically on the property...dismiss can be harsh on the turf and stress it too....that's all I got to say bout that....
Posted via Mobile Device