Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Lawn Cut Customer

It seems as if I get all the reject customers from the other bigger companies.
Well today I cut a new customers lawn. It was me and another guy doing the work, we were finished in like 20 minutes with the blowing, trimming and mowing, because it was a small lawn. The guy says that was to short time of time and we should have spent at least 2 hours at his property. What for $35 I am going to spend 2 hours! He says that his lawn was cut to long, (I cut at a 3 inches in the summer) he says that he waters his lawn 3 times a day. We is a big no no. And he saw a imaginary pile of leaves on his lawn in the back. That he wanted raked up.To make a long story short we made a run for it and drove away without payment because we did want to deal with this guy ever again. What would you guys do in this situation.?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

collected my money ,then RUNNNNN FOREST RUNNNN.....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

times are a changin

used to when we had a no pay, my buddy would kick 'em in the nads and I'd grab the wallet.

Nowadays {since I'm old and lazy} we just sign an agreement when we give estimates
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I would of collected the payment and then got the heck out of there. If the guy was for real he will keep scaring away any potential lawn care company and eventually there will be none left that will tolerate him. Who knows, maybe he will learn a lesson (probably not).
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as you did then tell everyone (lco) that you know about him.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

this is y i make them pay first per cut or on the 1st fo the month or no cutty
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quite a while back, I had a customer just like this guy, only it was a landscape job. She paid the 1st half, then when I wasn't even done yet, she did a sybil multiple personality stunt and turned into the exorcist. We had a phone conversation I'll never forget. Looking back, she probably did it to get out of paying -- and it worked. I stopped all work and never talked to her again. I let it go because A) I wanted to protect my reputation (just like I can warn other contractors, she can also tell other people about me -- and knowing this one, she'd fabricate whatever she wanted to, esp. if I insisted on getting payment or debated her) and B) there was NO CONTRACT -- all verbal. Can't do a darn thing without something in writing.

I'm really glad I met this wacko though ... because now I have contracts and with mowing, as someone said, no ticky no washy -- no green in my hand, no green for me to cut. Payments up front that's it. If they hesitate, I don't shy away from mentioning a very brief (and milder version) of the nut that didn't pay for the work. After I know them, terms get a little more relaxed if necessary.

I'd have done just what you did ... when they start getting ugly, remember your reputation and business "image." Thankfully you only wasted 20 mins in this guys presence. Could have been much much worse. All you can do is learn from it, and I hope you do