Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Belt slipping?[Walker]

I replaced all of the belts a few months ago and in the past couple of months the forward momentum will slow dramatically going up any type of incline. A high pitched "squeak" soon follows. This is at any speed and rpm range also. I can pull the handles back and it will grab, then pull the rest of the way. Nothing big or steep. Reverse is better, although I have experienced it and if I do not back off per say, it will not move.
Could this be the belt or possibly the pulley? Thanks guys
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

how about the spring for the tensioner pulley... your belt could be glazed, you could have some oil on the pulley...

have you changed the hydro fluid recently? are the hydro release valves snugged up...

the squeal could be a belt slipping...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

All fluids were changed when the belts were. Ill check the tensioner next, but everything feels tight

Thank you for the reply
Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you check your hydro pulleys? Check to see that the belt is not glazed which indicates slipping. Check that the hydro belt is not sitting below the idler,hydro pulley and jack shaft pulley which would indicate worn pulleys. Check the spring for the idler pulley for weakness.

Eric
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting it all guys, keep anything else coming and thank you for the info
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check the ilder arms and springs. The DU bearings in the iler arms that mount to the jack shaft will go bad. The ilder arms stick and the belt slips. To test for this remove the belt from the engine to the jackshaft and the belt from the jack shaft to the pumps. With the belt removed and the springs in place check the movement of the ilder arms. If you do not get full traval or there is a bad spot the bearing will need to be replaced.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

A simple way to see if your belt is slipping is as follows: go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of spray belt conditioner. Spray the belt you feel is slipping. The belt conditioner usually makes the belt "sticky" and will resolve any slipping issues. It is not a permanent solution, however you will be able to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

7.3, being your suggestion was the simplest, I did it today. Booyow! Pulls like a train now with no slipping/squeaking.
This tells me its either the belt or the pulley, however the belt was replaced at the beginning of the season.
EricG, the spring on the idler pulley seems snug, but I,m not sure how tight it should be overall.
Fixer67, your suggestion is my next step. I would make the assumption it is the pulley.

Thanks for all the advice/input
Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fiveohpoepoe, when the belt is sitting in the pulley check to see if it is sitting level with the edge of the pulley or below the edge of the pulley. If it is sitting level or below the edge of the the pulley, the pulley is worn. A belt should normally sit a little higher than the pulley edge. In addition, an old belt that is worn and not replaced when required will cause wear to the pulley making a new belt hard to grip, that is why the belt dressing worked with the new belt. This is really a temporary fix and many times the belt dressing attracts dirt which is bad for a belt. As for the spring on the idler pulley, its cheap enough, I would change it and know that you are starting off on the right foot.

Eric
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a few pics of the set up with hopes of more insight. The belt dressing works great[08-15] however today I fired it up and samething over again. I sprayed a little more and pulled like a tank again. So this is the scenario. New belts. Its sits pretty much flush on the lower pulley, sits well into the idler and front.[Sorry, dont know the official name without looking at the diagram] I appreciate all of the feedback!