Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bust out another thousand. Buy a Correct Craft and problem solved..... BTW I just sold my 94 Wellcraft 3.0 Mercruiser what a piece of ****... Third Mercruise all suck balls.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

It is cheaper to have a outboard even if they burn more fuel a I/O can be a maintenance pig and more expensive to maintain.

Out here in Coastal B.C. we have boats called Water Taxis (crew boats) they are boats in 24-26 foot range for carrying work crews etc. Most boats are equiped with 300hp Volvo diesel power the engine and leg is 40-45 grand. A leg lasts about 2 years the engine lasts about the same depending on its use.

Boats are expensive I usually tell a new boat owner give me your wallet they say what for, I want to chuck it into the water.

My neighbours were new boat owners they had some learning troubles like forgeting to have a operational bilge pump in their boat
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
Those older johnson, evinrude etc... like mid 70s are good motors. Thats what all my friends have on their duck boats and they get the crap beat out of them and they run great with no maintenance.
well i tournament fish and put a lot of hours on a boat. I dont use it to just duck hunt 4 -5 times a year.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, now you know why they gave it to you, on the other hand
I wouldn't expect much out of some 1979 anything, it's 30+ years old...

That having been said, why don't you sell it?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Punts right. Dont go with anything older then 10 yrs or so. That was my mistake , trying to do it on the cheap.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Boats are money pits! You should buy a Boston whaler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
It is cheaper to have a outboard even if they burn more fuel a I/O can be a maintenance pig and more expensive to maintain.

Out here in Coastal B.C. we have boats called Water Taxis (crew boats) they are boats in 24-26 foot range for carrying work crews etc. Most boats are equiped with 300hp Volvo diesel power the engine and leg is 40-45 grand. A leg lasts about 2 years the engine lasts about the same depending on its use.

Boats are expensive I usually tell a new boat owner give me your wallet they say what for, I want to chuck it into the water.

My neighbours were new boat owners they had some learning troubles like forgeting to have a operational bilge pump in their boat
They only get 2 yrs out of a Volvo diesel? WOW! those are supposed to be good engines? why do they wear out so quick versus a truck engine on the road?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 years on a commercial boat being run 8-10 hours a day 7 days a week...is 7300 hours... assume 35 miles per hour on a truck engine that 255K miles...

boat engines IMO are a much harsher environment
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

U wanna play U gots to pay. Bought a (new at the time) 04 Glastron 19+ft bowrider w/a GM 305 with a volvo penta outdrive. Other than a battery, iv'e had no issures with it. & it only cost $19k. Expensive toy to only use a few times a year. Even less now since i bought 2 used 3-seater kawasaki jetskis!(boy now these can be money pits) At this rate, my boat will look new for 20 years since it stays stored inside year round. Along with a 30ft 5th wheel...this make for alot of toys to haul to the lake when we go roughing it out camping!... he he
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would like to have one of those cigarette boats. Ive seen a few down on the riverfront, and they are so powerful, when they get on it, you can hear it thru out the whole river valley! It was a Fountain I believe, dont know how many engines it had though. Those are some sweet boats!