Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
They only get 2 yrs out of a Volvo diesel? WOW! those are supposed to be good engines? why do they wear out so quick versus a truck engine on the road?
Most water taxis run 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week they see a lot of use I forget the hours they get out of a engine. Keep in mind is a 6 cylinder engine smaller than a 5.9 Cummins putting out 300hp. A lot of power for such a small displacement engine to be producing. Companies are switching to the Volvo diesels from the 454 and 496 Gas engines for fuel economy. A 454 fuel injected engine will burn 45 gallons of gas in no time. The gas boats are spending 900 dollars a day in fuel.

Water Taxis are essential to the coast because there is no roads to these remote jobsites the crews get to work every day in a boat and go home the same way a water taxi carries 12 guys. Some of the logging contractors travel 3 hours a day in a water taxi going to work and back 5 days a week for a year or more.

One of the water taxi companies maintenance bill for a year was a little over half a million dollars to keep 4 boats going. A brandnew water taxi is a little over 400,000 dollars.

The only boats worth owning are the ones you make money with. My familly don't own any boats that you don't make money with.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The best outboard out there is either Yamaha or Honda nothing else compares.

I used to have boats the cheapest thing you can have is a 12 or 14 foot tinny with a 9.9 or 20hp engine. Cheap to operate and easy to use.
use to use boats like that to fish the merrimac river in the spring for stripers....small alluminum with small outboard.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
Boats and hoes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU&feature=fvst
go to this link and this song will pop up in your head every time
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ya im told if you run an outboard all the time they will last, if its here and there they are junk, my dads got a mariner 250hp on his boat and never had a single problem just maint. i think were gunna sell this one and get an open bow I/O, i think there easyer to work on cause they are not much different than a normal vehicle. theres just no winning it sounds like. maybe today ill go down to the marina and start throwing money at the counter and leave empty handed like usual
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

go with a full Inboard and be done with it... The engines are dressed less so its super easy to get to things. You can get to all sides of the engine. There is no drive to really mess with at all. No hydros or gear oil in the water its a no brainier. No transom issues to worry about. Shifting issues are simple. One thing about I/O is the dam shifting, bellows, and transoms. The you have oil getting into the drive or water getting into the trim etc. Gimbal bearings just way to much to mess with. Outboard are good but I don't like the rear of my boat being open so if I have to back up in a hurry I will flood the boat. Fishing you have to worry about waves crashing over the transom. I hate having the flat rear with the engine hanging 3ft behind the boat too on the outboards its just ugly when they do that.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
well i tournament fish and put a lot of hours on a boat. I dont use it to just duck hunt 4 -5 times a year.
Yeah I see your point... But we hunt from opener til the water freezes and still no problem. But some people dont like them thats cool. An older 15 horse Johnson really isnt good for tournment fishing anyway!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
Yeah I see your point... But we hunt from opener til the water freezes and still no problem. But some people dont like them thats cool. An older 15 horse Johnson really isnt good for tournment fishing anyway!
nope, i have 2 boats. A champion 201 with a 200hp johnson gt and a skeeter with a 250 vmax yami. I fish BIiG water. Like lake champlain. If i need to run 40 miles it would take 2 days in a little tin boat. For my boats its 30 min

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
that is funny
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

im tellen ya eveytime you go to the lake itll pop up, my wife suggested not getting rid of the boat since her parents gave it to us and there feelings will get hurt but to buy a new outboard instead, wonder how big i can go?