Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
im tellen ya eveytime you go to the lake itll pop up, my wife suggested not getting rid of the boat since her parents gave it to us and there feelings will get hurt but to buy a new outboard instead, wonder how big i can go?
Just tell her parents you liked it so much, you decided to get a bigger/better/newer one. Problem solved.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my father inlaw wants it back if we sell it even though ha has a 30ft bayliner with cabin, he wants it as a fishing boat but really he just hords stuff
Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

then give it back and buy a real boat.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I like when people put those big supercharged big block engines in a boat! Now that is some HP! I guess they really dont need a tranny either...right? Is the output shaft just connected to a gear box to run the propellor? and how do they run 2 and 3 engines in one boat? I assume all 3 output shafts connect to one gear box and into one big output prop shaft? I have no idea, and its probably obvious! but I would love to build a boat like this, maybe a 502, 10-71 supercharger, dual dominators!! ya know, about 1000hp!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I like when people put those big supercharged big block engines in a boat! Now that is some HP! I guess they really dont need a tranny either...right? Is the output shaft just connected to a gear box to run the propellor? and how do they run 2 and 3 engines in one boat? I assume all 3 output shafts connect to one gear box and into one big output prop shaft? I have no idea, and its probably obvious! but I would love to build a boat like this, maybe a 502, 10-71 supercharger, dual dominators!! ya know, about 1000hp!
Screw that Turbo....... You just need the same pitch on the props and they sync all the rpms. You just have to get close and then you can trim it out. All the engines are on different props unless you have a diesel electric type ship. The DE ships are your Navy/cruise/freight ship types. A direct drive is like a rear end in a car just doesn't have the same type gears in it to redirect the rotation. A velvet drive is like a transfer case in your 4x4 truck.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Screw that Turbo....... You just need the same pitch on the props and they sync all the rpms. You just have to get close and then you can trim it out. All the engines are on different props unless you have a diesel electric type ship. The DE ships are your Navy/cruise/freight ship types. A direct drive is like a rear end in a car just doesn't have the same type gears in it to redirect the rotation. A velvet drive is like a transfer case in your 4x4 truck.
Id love to see the big drives and gears on those huge freight ships! I bet they are massive. Ive seen the TV show where they detailed the building of a aircraft carrier and the size of things is just crazy, and they only need re-fueling every 25-30 yrs!! How is that even possible? since they are pretty much always on the move? Would the Govt have an energy technology that is super economical that they will not share with us..Gee I wonder!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Id love to see the big drives and gears on those huge freight ships! I bet they are massive. Ive seen the TV show where they detailed the building of a aircraft carrier and the size of things is just crazy, and they only need re-fueling every 25-30 yrs!! How is that even possible? since they are pretty much always on the move? Would the Govt have an energy technology that is super economical that they will not share with us..Gee I wonder!
Carriers and Subs use Nuclear in the US fleets... When they refuel they have to dump waste. They also are pretty green besides the whole nuclear waste thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M2SC...eature=related
Old 08-07-2010, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3gz...eature=related