Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2002, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Yellow Page Ads

Anyone out their use yellow page ads in their area? If so, how was your luck. I recieved 90% of my business from the service directory in my local newspaper. I figure the yellow pages would turn just as good results--if not better. Let me know. thanks everyone...

Adam
Old 08-01-2002, 02:03 AM

Adam,

The yellow pages are tricky. Some people have amazing results, others spend a boat-load of money and see nothing in return. The sales person from your local yellow pages will give you inflated numbers that might not even relate to what you offer. Sometimes, sadly enough, it is only the biggest ad with the most bells and whistles that get the calls. Find out as much as you can before you invest in the yellow pages. And when you know what you are willing to invest, evaluate if that money can be spent elsewhere producing a better return.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

whatever you do, don't listen the sales rep from the phone books. all they want to do is sell you the biggest ad they can, i think they are all commision so they only really care about themselves. i pulled my ads out of the phone books and decided that word of mouth, walk ups, and what little business i get from a regular line ad will be more then enough. but then again i'm built up. if your not built up enough or are looking to expand, put an ad in, but i'd only make it a single bold line in red. also helps to have a name thats high in the list alphabetically...
Old 08-01-2002, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of business are you in? Who are your customers? If you do estate management - your country club folks do not shop in the yellow pages for a vendor they'll spend tens of thousands of dollars with. If you do lawn care it might work.

I decided to take my free one line entry in the yellow pages and leave it at that. The incoming calls we get from referrals and walk ups are already pre sold and I'm more likely to sell service or installation to the customer than someone price shopping out of the yellow pages. I close 20% or less from the yellow pages where as I close over 70% of referrals.

For the same dollars sold - I'd have to spend a lot more time selling to prospective clients from the yellow pages than I would those that come to me through other methods.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't gotten much of any response from my ad. It will probably depend on the area. I like the idea, if someone remembers your name, but not the number....they can just look in the yelow pages. I think it also adds to ligitacy (SP?).

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 08-01-2002, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have received many calls from the yellow pages for estimates outside my service area and very few within my service area, The yellow pages have been the most expensive form of advertizing with the least in results , My best form of advertizing has been word of mouth, local buyers guide, business sign on truck
Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Adamc6, what part of Wisconsin are you from?
Old 08-01-2002, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Yellow Pages ad was one of the worst mistakes I've every made, period. It got me nothing.

My sales rep promised me a minimum of 30 calls per month. She said that they would use a "metered" number so they could be sure that the calls indeed came from the YP ad.

Well, sure enough, I got my 30 calls and then some. And 90% of them were from other outfits trying to sell me more advertising. In fact the phone rang and rang and rang and over and over again and every time I picked up the phone I had to tell another telemarketer that I had all the advertising I wanted. They called in the morning, all day long, during dinner and even late at night. Unbelievable!!

The other 10% were people looking for free consultations. No one wanted to use my service, they just wanted me to tell them how they should mow, or aerate or whatever.

Nope, I won't do that again.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yellow pages did pretty good for me. I got quite a bit of business from it. I also list under snow removal and got a huge return out of it in the winter time!! My phone didnt stop ringing!!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

yellow pages

In Cincinnati, if you have a listed phone number for your business you automatically are listed in each phone book ( white, yellow, and smaller neighborhood books ) but there is a national yellow pages that sends advertisments to me they would like me to advertise with them for only 159.00 per year. I do not do this because I am a local business , so I do not see they benefit of advertising nationally. hope this helps