Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Barberry

I have a new customer who wants some barberry bushes removed. I have installed barberry but never removed them. These are 4 feet tall and 4 feet across. They are about 50% dead. I think they could be saved with proper pruning but she just wants them gone. What I need to know is if a barberry this size has a shallow root system and can be readily pulled or if they are deep rooting. Here is another part I hate about some installations. They are planted about a foot from the foundation. I have not bid it yet. Bushes like this, with a shallow root system generally go for $35.00/ bush to remove.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bob,
I have planted a ton of these species of bushes and removed a ton as well.
The rooting is dependent on how much irrigation given to the site. Overly irrigated plants will have mostly surface roots. Dry zones with deep penetrating roots will be more difficult and the opposite for the other.
Trim these shrubs to the size you desire and go to shoveling them out. Take as much soil with the root ball as possible. Digging this close to the foundation will pose some reduction in how much root ball you will get on one side but if you think they will survive go for it. Berberis species are pretty resiliant as I have cut them down to the ground level and they come back..
35.00 bux a bush sounds fair..........then what about the replacement of soil for the holes.??