Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, Capt Stream Rotor - tomorrow I get to climb trees all day, any tips?

I'll be working on landscape lighting down lights tomorrow so I'll spend most of my day swinging from a rope. Tree climbing is kind of new to me, I'm using the DRT. Anybody have any tips or tricks they want to pass along?

Hopefully I won't get stuck...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I'll be working on landscape lighting down lights tomorrow so I'll spend most of my day swinging from a rope. Tree climbing is kind of new to me, I'm using the DRT. Anybody have any tips or tricks they want to pass along?

Hopefully I won't get stuck...
Pics, please.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of me stuck? I hope I can't produce that...

I'm not going very high, only about 40' tops and since everythign is so flat here, there won't be much of a view but if I see anything interesting, I'll try to snap a shot.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a crash helmet with a camera - we like photos.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't fall and saftey is number one!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Get a crash helmet with a camera - we like photos.
I knew I could count on Boots for heart felt concern.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey brother sorry didn't see this earlier..

first off SAFTEY

Know your Knots and be careful...hardhats and safety glasses please..

If you need any questions LMK....have fun...Tie in high...Lean back....get real comfortable with the ropes..

I really need to get after my Reps to start selling this kind of work....First install a Lightining protection program on the tree...install some lights...I could slap one of those in no problem..

would make for great winter work..I'm curious on how would you do that...

Keep everything in Conduit on the main liter/liters....Junction boxes....would it require a night time adjustment?

kind of crazy..
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tree climbing is hard, but I think Im probably doing it wrong. The knots all work well, I'm using a clove hitch to tie into the saddle and a Blake's hitch for the friction knot. No slipping or falling but I'm taking a lot longer and using a lot of effort to ascend. These lights are in Pine trees but the trees are all forked instead of a single straight trunk like Pines normally have. The lights are, of course, on the branch with not easy to access tie in branches so I had to ascend one side and then re-crotch. I didn't finish so Tuesday I'm coming back with the guy I usually pay to climb the trees. This job needed some lights replaced and new lights added so I thought it would be easier to just do it myself since the tree climber isn't all that great at aiming lights.

The lighting installs aren't too hard. For low voltage, you only need conduit if going through a wall, everything else is direct burial. NEC requires it to be 6" deep. On the trees, you need to use all stainless mounting hardware. I use hanger bolts to put the lights on so I can leave a gap between the tree and the fixture. I use black zip ties with the screw hole to secure the wire to the tree and use stainless screws for that (8 x 1 5/8 square drive) and again leave a gap so water doesn't get trapped. You dont have to use conduit at the base but if you do, I like soft copper because as it gets its patina, it'll blend in. You do hub everything and yeah, a night time adjustment is needed if you want it to look like a pro installed it.

If I do an install I try not to put down lights any higher than I can get to with a ladder but this was a service job on somebody else's work. They're all just high enough that I can't get to them from a ladder except for the ones that are way to high for a ladder.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like fun.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if "fun" is the word I'd use, I'm definitely going to need a Soma tonight.

So, how long did it take you to get good at climbing? What piece of advice did you get when you were learning that you would say was most useful to you? Are you typically using DRT and hip-thrust or foot lock? If not, how do you climb?