Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Launched many a 250 series bleed screw. That and the tiny solenoid spring drove me nuts.
I asked Toro to make the bleed screw top orange so it would be easier to find in the grass. The made 'em green instead.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
18 VDC should trigger any 24VAC solenoid, no need for the extra battery. My rig cost three bucks, including batteries
where do you get 2 batteries, the 9 volt battery connectors and the self piercing leads for a total of three bucks?

btw, there is a difference with the extra battery
Old 08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Batteries, 2 for a buck; piercing clips, a buck apiece. The rest is already laying around. If you don't have any toggle switches on hand, add that to the price.

Remember that one manufacturer rates their solenoids to open at 12 VDC, so 18 is plenty. 27 is overkill (since DC voltage is steady-state, and AC is constantly fluctuating between zero and peak)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Batteries, 2 for a buck; piercing clips, a buck apiece. The rest is already laying around. If you don't have any toggle switches on hand, add that to the price.

Remember that one manufacturer rates their solenoids to open at 12 VDC, so 18 is plenty. 27 is overkill (since DC voltage is steady-state, and AC is constantly fluctuating between zero and peak)
where do you get this stuff?, i'm buying at wholesalers prices.

please post pictures of the unit, i'm interested in both the actuator and the supplies.

i'm not picking a scrap but regardless, the three battery set-up has a solid snap when compared to two batteries, i've tested these in many configurations with different batteries.

show me the WB set-up so that i can copy it and give them both the comparison test
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got lots and lots of electrical components, so I would always be cobbling together something like this, rather than buying it made. For others, different story, perhaps.

If you can find a 24VAC solenoid that can't open with 18VDC, I would be interested in knowing about it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Three bucks, ten bucks, what's the diff?

Still a lot cheaper than a Stationmaster... and if you have the time and the parts lying around, good for you.

So, does under-volting or over-volting the solenoid do more harm? Won't it just not open if it doesn't get the required juice?

Or will either cause a solenoid to heat up more, and why?

BTW, a side note: a 9volt battery came apart the other day.. cheap Quangxi brand Chinese one that irrigation Direct used to furnish... I never realized that they were made up of a bunch of smaller batteries (6 x 1.5 V, maybe AAAA as I recall)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAAA_battery

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ha...attery-255591/

Last edited by irrig8r; 08-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Someone wasn't paying attention in science class. Of course a 9-volt battery is made of cells, just like a car battery is made of cells.