Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

irrigation

where/how is the best way to learn how to install and lay out irrigation systems? I can't just go to work for someone i have my own buss. so this isn't a option. Any classes out there or recomended books. Classes like icpi for pavers would be great like a 1-2 day thing.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hunter has online training, also look at rainbird they offer classes all over the place.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cool thanks. i printer like a mini manual off of hunter a few years ago, but i didn't knnow they did any more than that. i'll check out the rainbird one too
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be taking a class in the spring from a community college here through the horticulture department. Called "irrigation" The installation, design and maintenance of irrigation systems. Hands on training. Night classes. About $475 for the course. Check a CC in your area, they might have a class.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here you have to take 4 days of classes to get your state irrigation license. I don't know about you state but here you can get a hefty fine if you do any irrigation work without a license and get caught.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Here you have to take 4 days of classes to get your state irrigation license. I don't know about you state but here you can get a hefty fine if you do any irrigation work without a license and get caught.
Posted via Mobile Device
i haven't checked into the laws i just want to do it at my own house first to even see if it is something i like then i may do it for custamers
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

once you learn hydraulics,it's easy. good luck
Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Irrigation work has a much steeper learning curve than almost anything else in this industry except correct pesticide applications.
Simply knowing hydraulics isn't the answer, there are all sorts of specifics you need to be aware of starting with host turf requirements, the ability to correctly identify host turf, climatic inputs, etc.
Start with a course designed to instruct you starting with the base tenants of irrigation with the additional course work on turf in your operating area.
Once you have a solid understanding of the physical fundamentals of irrigation and are experimenting on your own turf with the correct language, then you can properly evaluate whether or not or would be interested in adding this as a service.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Irrigation has much more to do than hydraulics, digging a trench, and connecting pipes.

A course would be a good start, but you are going to need some hands on training as well.

A good goal is get to the point where you can troubleshoot and know the system inside and out.

I have seen guys start digging up yards because they did not know how to turn the water on after the system was winterized.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

You just can't learn "to irrigate" from a book or classes. Of course, it helps you to understand the principles. It would be beneficial for you to perhaps sub the irrigation out with a provision that allows you hands on experience helping. You would be very naive to think you could learn all the dynamics of installing an irrigation system from books. There are many questions that will come up while installing a system. However, if you do sub the work out, make sure the sub is reputable and does good work. If you learn from a contractor with bad habits, those are the habits you will pick up not knowing any difference. Good luck