Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Manifold vs. Inline valves

As a new installer I would like to have some experienced installers help me understand the advantages of going with valves closer to the zone off a lateral vs. a manifold system. I like the idea of a manifold setup but I haven't seen one that was easy to work on? The valve located off a lateral near the zone it controls is nice but they get lost easy after some years. I could see manifolds causing a bunch of pipe in the same trench.. seems hard for repairs down the rd.

Talk to me... or argue. I expect and enjoy both.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a difficult time arguing the point when I have to read the lawn jockey sig.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate the educational feedback. Not sure what a signature has to do with the question, that signature is well over 4 years old. I modified it just for you as to entice you to share your wisdom.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlouki01 View Post
I appreciate the educational feedback. Not sure what a signature has to do with the question, that signature is well over 4 years old. I modified it just for you as to entice you to share your wisdom.
Obviously the signature has nothing to do with the question, but the nomanclature of this particular forum is not receptive to equipment signatures.

People take very clear sides on this topic. I think taking a stance on either side is a mistake. The landscape design dictates valve placement. If one had a 20 zone landscape with a turf area in the middle one might be inclined to run one to two valves per box in the landscaped area and run a manifold for the turf.

BTW laterals are from the valve to the emitter.

Ps. Manifolds can be built out of inline valves. When I first read Manifold versus inline valve I thought you were going to compare ASV manifolds above grade to inline valves below grade.

Last edited by ARGOS; 08-08-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had to put more than two lines in a "trench" (I do not have trenches per se, since this is pulled poly land). If you have more than 2 lines in a trench then you just need one line that leads to a new manifold for the 3 or more zones.

Manifolds save wire, and wire related problems.

::stands back, sits down with bucket of popcorn::
Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This debate will never stop.

Our rule is no more then 2 -1 " lines in a trench ( Though we use poly and pull our pipe so this isn't much of an issue)

If you have more then 2 - 3 lines in one trench, then your manifold placement is in the wrong spot.

Both Manifolds and single valves have there pro's and con's. As far as the historic argument on this forum. I would say it's probably a 50/50
Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plain and simple , manifolds are easier for poly guys who pull, single pits are easier for guys who trench.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

When I used to live on the east side of my state it was manifold land, but the yard were small. Now I live on the west side of the state and we to inline valves, usually 2 in the same spot because the yards are larger.

The other day I had a small yard and I manifolded the system. As a service tech I like manifolded valves, but on some of these bigger systems I believe inline valves are better.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

We trench around here and generally set the valves where the zones are. I suppose we do "mini-manifolds" and generally try and do 2-3 valves together. It is easier to do several together to keep from digging so many valve cuts off the main, and quicker for wire splices manually testing etc. The valves are generally near the zones they control.

As far as larger manifolds, honestly any ease of service savings is negated by the work needed if one of the tee's starts leaking. The manifolds I find are piped so close together that many times we end up replacing the entire manifold due to a simple pvc leak. One national contractor around here does 2 valves in each 6" box and we have to replace 2 valves everytime a pvc leak develops at the pvc fittings.

When we pipe the valves in a mini manifold we leave adequate clearance for changouts. So our manifolds are more spread out then some of the others I have seen. We put them in seperate 6" boxes.

I will say if we were able to pull poly, I would do manifolds as I think they would be more appropriate for pulling.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How come Texans can't assemble tee connections that last?