Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2002, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still getting customers

I'm still getting new customers from my newspaper ad. At the beginning of the season there were only a couple of ads. Then there were about 20 for about 6-8 weeks. Now it's down to 3 and mine is one of them. I'm glad I kept it. I'm also getting weekly customers at my price and they're asking about fall cleanup. It's a business expense. A three line ad is only $56 a month. Best gamble I've made so far. I'm even planning on keeping it thru the winter (if you can call it that) just so I can keep the low rate. I guess I don't have a question or some ground breaking news but, just thought I would encourage the lurkers out there to go for it.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds great
Have thought about it just have not botherd to check it out,
Still running strong on word of mouth, think i will see about prices next week though. Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had some good luck and some bad luck with the newspaper ads. But mine cost $150 per month to run, so I don't do it very often.

Word of mouth has been growing us for months now. New business has been coming in almost daily.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

All of a sudden, calls are coming in daily. A lot of syuff I don't want though.
Must be the heat.

I just closed a new annual contract cust (my first mow & go) in a 2 minute phone call, my fastest close yet.

Roger
Old 08-02-2002, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We use to advertise in the newspaper when we first started out. The cost was $56/month. We did get quite a few calls. Some weren't worth dealing with. One month there might be 9 of us in the paper and then the next month only 2 of us. After about a year in the paper, we talked to our local yellow page guy and found out, for around the same price we could get a nice size ad in the phone book. We have been in there for 2 years now.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Lion Country, we have as many as 40 LCO's in the service directory in prime season. Even in the off season there is 25 or more. My personal experiance is poor at best. 80% or more are price shoppers looking for a " $20.00 for all lawns " guy. There are plenty of these guys around also. Word of mouth is the best advertising for me. I also advertise in the Yellow Pages. The Yellow book has proven to be a winner....
Old 08-02-2002, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

This year was our first year in the phone book. It really has been great. Plenty of steady calls, better ROI than the newspaper in my opinion.

My only suggestion is, have your ad planned out and drawn accurately or computer printed out before the salesguy shows up. Look through the book and you will see what they can do, and just figure the bigger the more expensive.

We had ours jacked up and got in a long running argument with the yellow pages folks over wether or not we agreed on them printing it off of their "Note" pages. They said that they would send us a "proof" copy and never did and said that they did not have to have the proof copy back before printing.

This year, we have printed out exactly what we want and we will hand it too the salesman and have him sign our copy.

Al B
Old 08-02-2002, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No ads......

Referrals are keeping me backed up. Got people waiting to get on the schedule yet. They are patient (thank god).
Has been insane this last month. If I was advertising? I'd be in the nut ward at the hospital!
Old 08-03-2002, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick followup. I was prepping my equipment friday evening and my neighbor across the street came over. He asked me if I'd been getting much lawn work (he's seen me coming and going, and also the cut of the Bob-Cat). I related about the bi-weekly problems and said I'd had enough. I told him about my newest customer and how it was going to be $35 weekly or $55 bi-weekly. I had no idea that he was going to ask me to cut his lawn while I was talking to him. So he says "how much to cut my lawn?", I said "how often do you want it cut?". He stammered and said "uh, weekly of course". I did give him a travel discount! I think what made him come over was when he saw me cutting my yard in the rain a couple of weeks ago and the way it looked after that. S W E E T!