Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

stupied side shutes!

so my husky rider mower is a model 2348 and it mowes very very well, but i have trouble if its even slightly wet the grass gets stuck and makes a mess, ive been tgold that some side discharge mowers have a seperate little motor that pushes or sucks the grass up to the bags, any body heard of this? i dont even know what youd call it
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
so my husky rider mower is a model 2348 and it mowes very very well, but i have trouble if its even slightly wet the grass gets stuck and makes a mess, ive been tgold that some side discharge mowers have a seperate little motor that pushes or sucks the grass up to the bags, any body heard of this? i dont even know what youd call it
yup, but thats for commercial mowers. You will never get the performance you need out of that rider.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yep as punt said, for commercial mowers.

commercial sit down ztr's have a blower that is run off of the pully system from your deck blades that blows the grass/debris up the tubes into the bags.

i didn't look up the model for the mower you said you are using but i'm gonna guess by what punt said your using a residential grade mower. if your doing commercial work that is a BIG mistake......
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes im using a res for commercial, but i do more smaller house lawns since i do the field mowing and this is year 2 with it and 0 issues and, should look it up its a nice mower but no zero turn of course, so im probly sol, but thanks for the quick lesson on how that system works
Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
yes im using a res for commercial, but i do more smaller house lawns since i do the field mowing and this is year 2 with it and 0 issues and, should look it up its a nice mower but no zero turn of course, so im probly sol, but thanks for the quick lesson on how that system works
there is a gas powered unit as well. Its a mini version of a leaf loader. You could probably make that work but its not worth the effort with your mower.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have a link for this gas powered deal, i dont see my self getting a newer mower for a year or two
Old 08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

not to hijack the thread but it doesn't matter what you do with a residential unit commercially.

if your doing commercial work you should be using commercial equipment. residential equipment is ment to be used once a week for maybe an hour or 2. commercial equipment is ment to be used day in day out all day long.

if your mowing more than one yard a week with this unit you need to trash it and get a commercial unit.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing stupid is the way you spelled "stupied"......sorry couldnt resist.... and chutes.....
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
not to hijack the thread but it doesn't matter what you do with a residential unit commercially.

if your doing commercial work you should be using commercial equipment. residential equipment is ment to be used once a week for maybe an hour or 2. commercial equipment is ment to be used day in day out all day long.

if your mowing more than one yard a week with this unit you need to trash it and get a commercial unit.
ya like i said its in the plan im saving up for some leaf clean up equipment and the trailer i just bought ate into the budget, it makes a real clean cut and moves quick, just the grass catcher. for bigger yards i bungie the discharge back and it sprays the grass around nicely
Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
the only thing stupid is the way you spelled "stupied"......sorry couldnt resist.... and chutes.....
yes thank you, it tough to focus on spelling when you have a 2 yearold trying to help type, i have to race her on the keys