Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

new home - need irrigation help

I've never worked much with irrigation for our clients, and dont know too many people in the trade locally, but here is my dilemma....

We just moved into our first house and we have about 5k sqft fescue backyard that is a perfect square (70x70)...at this point, I cant really afford 4-5k for an inground system (new house, wedding, etc)...what are my best options outside of that for the next few years before I can upgrade to inground/underground?

Currently i take an oscillator to four different areas but thats getting time consuming and annoying...what would you do on a budget (few hundred)? One nice thing is that I have two outdoor faucets...one at street pressure (115 psi/~1cuft per min) and one at residential (52 psi), so no pressure limitations to speak of.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by Redline9k; 08-09-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone is going to say donít do this but it works. I used this setup for 2 yrs before I saved up enough to get a real in ground system.

Just go to HD/Lowes and get a a couple of timers. I used the orbit ones and they work fine. Dig a small trench to the corners of your yard and run regular cheap hose to whatever standard sprinkler heads you use.

This eliminates the need to move hoses around, itís a permanent installation and will last a couple of years. The problems I noticed with the setup is you can use more water than needed because the coverage is not idle which makes you water more to keep things green. You also donít have a rain sensor so unless youíre watching the forecast and turning the timers on and off you end up watering when you donít need to.

I had maybe $250 in the setup and had 2 timers, 5 control valves (zones), and 8 sprinklers.

good luck...
Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
Everyone is going to say donít do this but it works. I used this setup for 2 yrs before I saved up enough to get a real in ground system.

Just go to HD/Lowes and get a a couple of timers. I used the orbit ones and they work fine. Dig a small trench to the corners of your yard and run regular cheap hose to whatever standard sprinkler heads you use.

This eliminates the need to move hoses around, itís a permanent installation and will last a couple of years. The problems I noticed with the setup is you can use more water than needed because the coverage is not idle which makes you water more to keep things green. You also donít have a rain sensor so unless youíre watching the forecast and turning the timers on and off you end up watering when you donít need to.

I had maybe $250 in the setup and had 2 timers, 5 control valves (zones), and 8 sprinklers.

good luck...
He has a 70 x 70 yard, all he needs to do is buy one timer, one impact sprinkler and put it in the middle of the yard on full circle. Run the hose under the ground for 35 feet from the back of the house. Unscrew the sprinkler when you need to mow. Total cost $60.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

yep.. 1 or 2 should do.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You can build the system yourself for probably four or five hundred dollars. No point in doing **** halfass.