Register free!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just making a cut for a customer

I have a TS400 with diamond blades we usually use wet for cutting pavers etc. I had a call from a customer that just needs a cut made in a slab on grade. Probably 4-5" thick. Not exacctly sure of the length but based on what he described about 3ft. Never had a call for this before. What should I charge him? Per inch cut? I think if I charged time I would not really make out as it should only take a 15 minutes with setup. He is not the type of guy to go rent so I know he will pay for the job.
www.jessefrymaintenance.com
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Understand that this is merely my own opinion:

Cut it for free IF he's a good current customer. Often times charging for a few minutes leaves a bad impression on the customer. I'd personally "write it off" as advertising, as this could lead to far more paying work for you down the road by doing a small favor like this.

On the other hand, if he offers you some money, I'd feel free to take it, as he will still appreciate your good intentions.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post

Cut it for free IF he's a good current customer. Often times charging for a few minutes leaves a bad impression on the customer. I'd personally "write it off" as advertising, as this could lead to far more paying work for you down the road by doing a small favor like this.

On the other hand, if he offers you some money, I'd feel free to take it, as he will still appreciate your good intentions.
That's what I would do.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking that. My fear is that the recommendations will be for free cuts. I will do his for free he will probably offer to pay, but I need to have some sort of rate established. What happens when someone wants 20ft cut?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's your hourly rate? How much fuel will you use to get there? How much will it wear out your blade? What's your overhead?

Personally, it'd take one of our guys about an hour to go and do that... I'd charge $75 (if I wasn't doing it for free, which, like the other guys, I would for 3' worth of cutting).
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now every homeowner has a chunk of concrete they want cut.

I think its a safe bet to say this will be the only time such a request comes your way.

In business, as we get older - we learn that there are times when you do stuff and do not charge for what you did. In return you hope that you'll get a referal or two or three sometime down the road.......

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT18fireman View Post
I was thinking that. My fear is that the recommendations will be for free cuts. I will do his for free he will probably offer to pay, but I need to have some sort of rate established. What happens when someone wants 20ft cut?
Posted via Mobile Device
If these folks start coming out of the woodwork, looking for free sawing, you'll need to get creative with how you handle that. Like DVS said, not likely though. If it happens, you'll get to learn a few new leasons on holdign your own as a biz owner, not really a bad thing.

As for charging for 20', I'd figure at least $75-125 per hour for the operator + saw + blade use + maintenance + biz overhead + etc... Make it worth your while if you're in a position that you can do so. One more pointer, make the cost at least slightly over the cost to rent the saw & blade (with any extra charges applied by rental yard) so the HO feels compelled to just have you do it for a few extra bucks. The point I'm trying to make is don't do it cheaper than it would cost the HO to rent and DIY.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT18fireman View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
If it's not for an existing customer just tell 'em you have a four hour minimum charge for that type of work. That ought to take care of that.
Like DVS said, I doubt that you will be swamped with this type of request.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post

I like your thinking
15 minutes of work goes a long way on other jobs he may have, and if he doesnt, he may refer you just cause of what you did.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell him to rent the saw and blade and I'd be happy to cut it for him.