Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

DOT Regulation..

I know that the dot #s need to be on each side of the truck but does my company info need to be on both sides or can I get away with just putting it on the back window and that's it? I would rather not put any stickers on the paint and i have a crew cab and dont really want to put it on the windows (that role down ) if I don't have to.. Thanks

Last edited by pavwa; 08-11-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think all you need are the numbers ....i dont think you need your company name and number on the truck
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Federal law requires any truck that is required to have a DOT # must have the company's name on the sides of the vehicle in addition to the DOT #. Some companies also include the city and state they are based out of but that is not required.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This answers your question.

www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/truckid.pdf
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for posting that link. I was trying to post the federal one buyu computer froze. Stuck on the mobile now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is only partially correct for here in Michigan. Any and every vehicle used for commercial purposes are required to have the following labeling: Company or owner name, location (city and state), and DOT numbers. On an open pickup truck, this info is to be displayed on each side of the vehicle and placed on the front doors. Lettering is to be no smaller than 3" in height, and must be displayed with a legible contrasting color.
Along with this, yo must have you safety inspection documentation within sight (windshield or dash), and your proper safety equipment consisting of the following: Fire extinguisher, no less than 3 orange reflective triangles (they no longer accept flares). Trailer must have brakes on all axles, and equipped with a break-away system. Driver is required to have a chauffeur endorsement, along with a current DOT physical medical certificate.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 08-12-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
This is only partially correct for here in Michigan. Any and every vehicle used for commercial purposes are required to have the following labeling: Company or owner name, location (city and state), and DOT numbers. On an open pickup truck, this info is to be displayed on each side of the vehicle and placed on the front doors. Lettering is to be no smaller than 3" in height, and must be displayed with a legible contrasting color.
Along with this, yo must have you safety inspection documentation within sight (windshield or dash),

If your vehicle (truck or trailer) has a GVW of over 10,001 lbs.

and your proper safety equipment consisting of the following: Fire extinguisher, no less than 3 orange reflective triangles (they no longer accept flares). Trailer must have brakes on all axles, and equipped with a break-away system. Driver is required to have a chauffeur endorsement, along with a current DOT physical medical certificate.

If your vehicle or combination of vehicles is over 10,001 lbs.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes,...THIS is correct...that is better worded... it is the combination of the two. Thanks for catching that.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i guess i was wrong
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some DOT officers will make a big deal about the font size and color as well so keep it legal. In my experience it is best to keep everything legal and equipment clean, this makes you less of a target for a board DOT enforcer.