Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So if my F350 psd is 8200 pounds empty, around 9k loaded, I cant take the g/f and her mom to dinner without fear of having a dot inspection?

04 duramax crew cab w/flatbed

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Landscaping Design, Installing both Hard & Softscapes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hope the 2 of them don't put you over 10K, but no unless you have a US DOT number on the side of your truck and its only lisenced for 10K
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im good untill 12k with a D plate here in IL, and no there no where close to that big lol just coulnt resist.

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the F350, I know the GVWR is over 10K on those trucks, as we have one in our company. If its registered to your company and you cross state lines you will be subject to DOT regulations. If they pull you ovr across state lines and its registered as a business vehicle (or commercial) you will be cited for not having DOT numbers as well as anything else required to be commercial. They may even put you out-of-service, if they find too many things wrong. If you stay in state, and your state doesn't require it, then don't worry. Here in Georgia, anyone who is over 10K (truck or combined) have to abide by all regulations unless they are a recreational vehicle or farm vehicle.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My truck has been wieghed many times over & over, 99 psd dually, 9' utility bed with space between the cab & bed. 8200 lbs with just me in it. I end up 200 lbs over my plate when picking up 2 ton of rock from local supply yard that wieghs you in and out.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It has nothing to do with what your truck weighs, and what it weighs with a load in it. It is the trucks GVWR. Look on the inside of the door, and there will be a tag that states this. If your truck says for instance 8600 lb GVWR, then it is 8600 lbs. This means if you pull a single axled trailer - with one 3500 lb. axle (the most common size axle for our type industry), then that puts your truck at 12,100 combined GVWR. Even if it was a 1500 lb axle on the trailer, that puts it at 10,100 lbs. combined. THIS is what they go by. Now, granted, most trailers are dual axle, so each axle is measured for the trailers capacity (2 x 3500 lb., etc.). Regardless if the trailer is full of mowers, or empty,...it is measured this way. They don't go by what you're hauling,...they go by your capacity to haul. One exception,...they go by what you're hauling if you are over weight for your vehicles.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Some DOT officers will make a big deal about the font size and color as well so keep it legal. In my experience it is best to keep everything legal and equipment clean, this makes you less of a target for a board DOT enforcer.
3" tall is the law!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And one thing, real quick...Here in Michigan, the city and state IS required...Phone number and all other info (services, etc.), are not required, and can be placed anywhere on the truck.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly it's not your actual weight it is the max the truck (and trailer) can carry including the weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, fuel etc. Your state may not enforce DOT regs if you stay local and are under 26000gvw. Crossing state lines is a different matter.

As far as the city and state goes, that is a state by state code. The main requirement ( and this is federal guidelines) is that the name and dot # must appear on both sides of the drive vehicle (not the trailer).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPsDuramax View Post
On the F350, I know the GVWR is over 10K on those trucks, as we have one in our company. If its registered to your company and you cross state lines you will be subject to DOT regulations. If they pull you ovr across state lines and its registered as a business vehicle (or commercial) you will be cited for not having DOT numbers as well as anything else required to be commercial. They may even put you out-of-service, if they find too many things wrong. If you stay in state, and your state doesn't require it, then don't worry. Here in Georgia, anyone who is over 10K (truck or combined) have to abide by all regulations unless they are a recreational vehicle or farm vehicle.
Maybe in GA, but a truck that falls under commercial vehicle\DOT guidelines while working is exempt when being used for personal uses in MI. If I haul my fifth wheel behind my 550 for camping, it is no longer a commercial vehicle, even though it has the USDOT number, city\state and company name.

Same goes for my personal 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It has nothing to do with what your truck weighs, and what it weighs with a load in it. It is the trucks GVWR. Look on the inside of the door, and there will be a tag that states this. If your truck says for instance 8600 lb GVWR, then it is 8600 lbs. This means if you pull a single axled trailer - with one 3500 lb. axle (the most common size axle for our type industry), then that puts your truck at 12,100 combined GVWR. Even if it was a 1500 lb axle on the trailer, that puts it at 10,100 lbs. combined. THIS is what they go by. Now, granted, most trailers are dual axle, so each axle is measured for the trailers capacity (2 x 3500 lb., etc.). Regardless if the trailer is full of mowers, or empty,...it is measured this way. They don't go by what you're hauling,...they go by your capacity to haul. One exception,...they go by what you're hauling if you are over weight for your vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
And one thing, real quick...Here in Michigan, the city and state IS required...Phone number and all other info (services, etc.), are not required, and can be placed anywhere on the truck.
However, Dept of Ag requires phone numbers if you are a pesticide applicator.