Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Renovation Questions

I want to run by you guys my system for aeration and overseeding. All my lawns are 10k sq ft which is nice. What I usually do is aerate first, then spread the fertilizer and put down 250lbs of lime. I havent done a ph test in a few years on my lawns but they all needed lime and the guys at JD landscapes said the soil here usually requires lime every year so I follow there instructions. It's just last year my seed didn't take very well on some of the yards I overseeded and was wonding if I could improve on anything?

This year I am geting my pesticide license and was going to offer weed killing too. I thought I would use Trimec Plus mixed at 3oz per gallon and have my initial spray 6 weeks before I seed and then come back in two weeks and respray. Spraying would be by a back pack sprayer. This would give me 4 weeks before I seed, is that enough time?

Also I was thinking of offering dethaching and if I do that sould I dethach before I aerate? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn, only 19 and it's hard to find good information out there. Thanks for all the input guys!!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With a backpack sprayer, just do spot spraying and don't worry about how or when it affects the seeding.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
I want to run by you guys my system for aeration and overseeding. All my lawns are 10k sq ft which is nice. What I usually do is aerate first, then spread the fertilizer and put down 250lbs of lime. I havent done a ph test in a few years on my lawns but they all needed lime and the guys at JD landscapes said the soil here usually requires lime every year so I follow there instructions. It's just last year my seed didn't take very well on some of the yards I overseeded and was wonding if I could improve on anything?

This year I am geting my pesticide license and was going to offer weed killing too. I thought I would use Trimec Plus mixed at 3oz per gallon and have my initial spray 6 weeks before I seed and then come back in two weeks and respray. Spraying would be by a back pack sprayer. This would give me 4 weeks before I seed, is that enough time?

Also I was thinking of offering dethaching and if I do that sould I dethach before I aerate? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn, only 19 and it's hard to find good information out there. Thanks for all the input guys!!
One spray is plenty, I would do it a little closer like 3 weeks. That is plenty of time to eliminate the weeds.

Dethatch before you aerate.

And the seed coming up will have a lot to do with how much water it gets. Some homeowners might water and some might not, unless there is irrigation or something.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, one last question, got a lady who called today and she wants her whole yard redone. I went over to look at it and it's full of weeds (90%) and there are 2 spots of bermuda. I know I can't get rid of the bermuda easily and she said that's fine. What I plan on doing is spraying it with round up and then mowing it as short as possible and rake clippings and then respray. Wait 3 weeks then slit seed? Or should I just spray it and rent a harley rake?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just mow it short (may have to double cut if it's high)...THEN spray.
Why spray - cut - respray