Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for some help identifying issue with parts of a lawn

I have a pretty good maintained lawn over all, but have a few areas that differ in size that the grass looks very differnt, and not like a average healthy blade of grass. I do fertilize 3 times a year. It seems like when I fertilize the areas in question it seem to go dorment because it turn brown, where the normal looking grass stays green. After many weeks pass by, the area in question start to green back up. The grass in these areas look matted all year round, and is green mostly at the top and brown from middle to soil surface. Also it looks so differnt when you get right down close and look at it. The top of the grass in these areas is green at the top bu pretty brown below.Never less I have attached pictures of the entire lawn,and the areas in questions circled in red, and close shots of what the grass in question looks like. Most of the lawn itself is thick and healthly, I just don't know what it is. Also just to note I do have a irrigation systems that runs each zone for 20mins on even days.

I would appreciate your help....thank You

Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone? I am just looking for some input from a lawn expert that can possibly identify the issue per my description and the pictures.

thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

maybe somebody buried a body there
Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a little tough for me to tell from the pics, but via description, I'm leaning towards thinking you may have some creeping bentgrass patches. After you muw, if you rake and the grass is brown at the base, but kinda comes up "clumpy" and in lengths to 6"-7", that would be my guess. I do a lot better on site. THe other possibility is a fungal problem. It is not leaf spot or dollar spot from what I can tell.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude View Post
Its a little tough for me to tell from the pics, but via description, I'm leaning towards thinking you may have some creeping bentgrass patches. After you muw, if you rake and the grass is brown at the base, but kinda comes up "clumpy" and in lengths to 6"-7", that would be my guess. I do a lot better on site. THe other possibility is a fungal problem. It is not leaf spot or dollar spot from what I can tell.
Turfdude,

Yes after I mow the grass dos not stand up, it stays matted, and the blades of grass seem to be a lot finer than the rest of the lawn. Also yes if I rake it is brown at the base, and it is clumpy, and it is alot longer than the rest of the lawn.

What do I need to do if it is creeping bentgrass, which I am almost positive it is.

Thanks for your reply
Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It may also be Bermuda. Closely following the directions on the package, Ornamec will wipe it out. Take care of it now because it will absolutely take over.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It may also be Bermuda. Closely following the directions on the package, Ornamec will wipe it out. Take care of it now because it will absolutely take over.
The grass is very stringy. And after I lowered my mower to 3" I can see the brown base of this grass. Whether I use Ornamec, or round up will both also kill the kentucky blue grass.

Also I take it I then have to resed. If I do have to resead, how long do i have to wait.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivesystems View Post
The grass is very stringy. And after I lowered my mower to 3" I can see the brown base of this grass. Whether I use Ornamec, or round up will both also kill the kentucky blue grass.

Also I take it I then have to resed. If I do have to resead, how long do i have to wait.
Also the root systems seems to be very shallow
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, if its bent grass - use round-up. Wait 1 week then renovate, aerate & re-seed. Bentgrass will continue to spread if its not erradicated.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude View Post
Yes, if its bent grass - use round-up. Wait 1 week then renovate, aerate & re-seed. Bentgrass will continue to spread if its not erradicated.
Addtional pictures and labeled
Attached Images