Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone ever been asked to care for a vegi garden?

I was out cutting some grass at an account that I have and the neighbor asked if I could take a look at her vegi garden when I'm finished. Right off I knew the owner of the property I was at must have told her how I helped her with hers.

When I looked at her garden I noticed what could be nutrient deficiencies. We talked for a while and I told her what she could do. At the end of the conversation she asked if I offer a service to take care of vegi gardens. I've thought about this, but figured that most people take care of their own vegi's.
Have any of you ever been asked or offer this type of service? I thought about charging her for advice and let her do the work.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have never been asked and probably would refuse due to the fact that my OWN garden has been neglected this year.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Have never been asked and probably would refuse due to the fact that my OWN garden has been neglected this year.
LOL...I have a pretty large garden myself. I have to admit that it's very hard to come home and take care of my own after working hard all day. I let the neighbors kid cut my yard! LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had combination flower/shrub/veggies all under one roof. If it is something I would like to do, then I do. If I don't like the setup or the people, then, no.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I have had combination flower/shrub/veggies all under one roof. If it is something I would like to do, then I do. If I don't like the setup or the people, then, no.
I understand 100%. Had a call yesterday evening, I was to return the call once I worked them into my schedule. Called back and got a voice mail of a 60 second rap song...then the boyfriend calls me back asking why I was calling his girlfriends phone! If the dumb fool would have listened to what I said when I picked the phone up he would have known it was a call from a business!
She called me back at 10:00pm! I told her that I didn't have room in my schedule.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably something you should stay out of.

A garden is daily task, and if they are too lazy to commit to this then they should not have a garden in the first place. You are setting yourself up for people calling saying you killed their garden and they demand you replace 60 veggie plants.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post

A garden is daily task, and if they are too lazy to commit to this then they should not have a garden in the first place. You are setting yourself up for people calling saying you killed their garden and they demand you replace 60 veggie plants.
The most intense it ever got for me was , weekly tilling/weeding. I also did the planting and fall cleanup. Never took responsibility for water or fert.
It is fun, in the right environment, but only if you enjoy gardening.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The most intense it ever got for me was , weekly tilling/weeding. I also did the planting and fall cleanup. Never took responsibility for water or fert.
It is fun, in the right environment, but only if you enjoy gardening.
I do enjoy gardening, and thats why I thought about doing it. Still thinking though...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post

You are right about it being a daily task. I told this to the woman and she said money wasn't a problem. I have a large garden of my own that I've had for years and feel confident in my ability to grow. I don't think it's a matter of her being lazy, I just think that she wants fresh produce and really don't know what she's doing. I just figured out of all the people on here, someone must have tried this before?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HotWater,
Definitely don't have the time nor the manpower to send on garden trips. It is unforgiving that a person plant a garden and then can't keep it up.............summer heat is the obvious reason. Daily monitoring for insect damage, watering, and weed elimination is always needed. Just isn't feasible for hourly charges.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pulling weeds and tilling are def plausible options as I have done this in the past for many people. I have also thrown some veggies into the soil and potted plants for people. It is pretty good money.

Fert, Pest, Fungi, Water are all things to stay away from IMO. That is what I was referring to in my previous post.