Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2002, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fall Cleanups

i was wondering how you go about pricing fall cleanups. this is my first year having to do several of them. i know this may only apply to some of you guys, but the ones that know a little about it, please fill me in. all my lawns are residentials and not too pricey. none of them will be too overwhelming when it come to fall cleanup, i just need a few ideas to work with. thanks

Old 08-03-2002, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Estimate time needed to do job , X my hourly rate. Give customer a total $ figure.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

6 times the amount of the regular weekly cutting price, which does not include disposal fee
Old 08-03-2002, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall Cleanups

Quote:
[Expert Lawns] i was wondering how you go about pricing fall cleanups. this is my first year having to do several of them.
It would depend greatly on the type of equiptment that you have.

The ideas about figuring out how long it will take you and charge hourly rate and give customer the total are good if you know how long it will take you with your equiptment.( REMEMBER, LEAF CLEANUP WILL ALWAYS TAKE LONGER THAN YOU THINK IT WILL) At first it might be easier to do cleanups for an hourly rate, until you do some, and learn the tricks to make them easier, then it would be wise to do a total job price.
A couple years ago, I went to doing a "mini cleanup" every week for my regular customers. It has worked out very well for them and me also. they like the idea, because the leaves are not setting around, blowing in their houses, garages, etc. Also it looks better throughout the leaf season instead of waiting until they all fall..
Old 08-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Banned

I try to do 3 clean-ups for each of my customers each leaf season. The first one is when about half the leaves are down. Second is once the bulk of them are down. Third is once things have slowed down and you are just going back to pick up the little BS.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Agree with everyone else, charge an hourly rate. Do them every week until your done. We charge $40.00 p.m.h. plus $2.00 per bag disposal fee. Do not do anything without a signed contract. Had a lady call us last year in a panic (not a regular customer) wanting a cleanup done. Did it without a contract, she said we charged too much. Took her to small claims court and the judge ruled in her favor. We had about 20 other customers who pay us to do the same with no problems.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
.( REMEMBER, LEAF CLEANUP WILL ALWAYS TAKE LONGER THAN YOU THINK IT WILL)
This is an understatement. Last year I was in your boat, trying to figure out how to bid. Didn't do bad except one yard lost my *****. Had huge oaks ( I mean GIGANTIC oaks) lot size about 80' x150' , only had rake, hand held blower, tarps and 1ton dump. I hauled off 7 loads and it took me almost 3 days. (by myself) Got backpack blowers now, and planning on getting a Billy Goat debris loader soon, and probably hire some part-time help this fall. As far as prices I kept raising mine last fall and only lost one (and I think that guy was just tight) good luck Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???
Old 08-04-2002, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

agrostis palustris

How much extra do you charge when you do your 3 mini-clean-ups. I will probably do the same thing for my regular customers, do you guys send letter to all clients to let them know of increase during fall clean-up time. I did'nt do any fall clean-ups last year, but my spring was a total price and that turned out pretty good. thanks
Old 08-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Banned

clean-up every week until thanksgiving then one last one before xmas. Charge same weekly price then 6 times or so per week for the last one.

Last edited by lawnboy11; 08-04-2002 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:09 AM
Banned

"Expert Lawns"....How can you call youself an expert? I have been involved in the horticulture industry for four decades, I have a Master's in public garden administration, and a Bachelor's in Plant Science. I would be an expert, maybe. But you, expert? I'm sure you're nice and all, but isn't it false advertising? Gimme a break. Why not just start a medical practice and call yourself a doctor?