Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Question on bid

We received a bid to install a simple 2 zone system which is powered by a 3/4 pump which sits on shore...it draws from the lake. The installer mentioned because its only 2 zones that we had the option of getting our own controller as his price was 200+ and he felt becase of the simplistic nature of what we needed...(watering the grass) and a small bed of native flowers. The controllers he uses were way overkill. Could anyone kindly recommend a 4 valve controller? I would rather not buy some POS from a box store from a guy @ HD that doesnt know his as_ from a hole in the ground.....I see sprinklerwarehouse has several controllers @ decent prices.

I was also curious if a pressure relief valve would be something we request be installed to prevent the pump from burning out in the event a valve ever got stuck. Or perhaps a high temp kill switch. A pressure tank I know is an alternative but would prefer to avoid one if the relief valve would suffice.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would recommend a Rain Bird ESP modular. Start with 4, and if you ever decide to expand in the future, it will take you up to 13. Master valve hookup included for your pump.

The pump guys could tell you whats best in the kill switch category.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forget Rainbird..

Hunter is the way to go...

they can go up to 15 stations and have reliable remote hook ups...great upgrade.

When R/B has good remote, I'll switch.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
Forget Rainbird..

Hunter is the way to go...

they can go up to 15 stations and have reliable remote hook ups...great upgrade.

When R/B has good remote, I'll switch.
I beg to differ. I used to install a lot of Hunter ProCs, then experimented with Irrigation Direct, and have installed mostly Rain Bird ESP for any 13 zone or fewer jobs I've had in the last year.

If you like the ProC's features, Irrigation Direct matches them and gives you six stations to start with and adds features. It uses a replaceable lithium battery for current time back up (non-volatile memory for the rest) and does something I haven't seen on other clocks, self-adjusts for DST.

They advertise here on Lawnsite. www.irrigationdirect.com

And Rotar, Rain Bird did come out with a better remote while you were swimming with the Phish. Now pay attention.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall46 View Post
We received a bid to install a simple 2 zone system which is powered by a 3/4 pump which sits on shore...it draws from the lake. The installer mentioned because its only 2 zones that we had the option of getting our own controller as his price was 200+ and he felt becase of the simplistic nature of what we needed...(watering the grass) and a small bed of native flowers. The controllers he uses were way overkill. Could anyone kindly recommend a 4 valve controller? I would rather not buy some POS from a box store from a guy @ HD that doesnt know his as_ from a hole in the ground.....I see sprinklerwarehouse has several controllers @ decent prices.

I was also curious if a pressure relief valve would be something we request be installed to prevent the pump from burning out in the event a valve ever got stuck. Or perhaps a high temp kill switch. A pressure tank I know is an alternative but would prefer to avoid one if the relief valve would suffice.
A relief valve will suffice.

Why don't you just let the installer put the controller in. Quit trying to penny pinch on the contractor.

You get what you pay for on controllers, and for 200 bucks he is probably going to do a pro-c or esp modular.

That's a fair price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

link on the "new remote"
Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh and I tell people that all the time about the controllers. I get tired of hearing "what 200 bucks but I can buy one at home depot for 40". They think theve caught me or something. So now I just say... We use good commercial quality controllers but you can buy fourty dollar cheapos at home depot if you prefer.

I wouldn't put a home depot controller in at my house and also wouldn't recommend one at yours but they sell them. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Sprinkler Guy View Post
Why don't you just let the installer put the controller in. Quit trying to penny pinch on the contractor.

You get what you pay for on controllers, and for 200 bucks he is probably going to do a pro-c or esp modular.

That's a fair price.
Posted via Mobile Device
To be 100% clear the installer is the one who suggested I look into getting my own controller. I took his suggestion @ face value and was not going to challenge him. I have no problem paying for quality and was why i asked the question in the first place as I specfically DID NOT want to go to Home Depot and buy one 30.00 dollar one off the shelf.

I guess the only requirements would be it needs to be outdoor rated. Again I'm looking for quality and reliability. The max zones in the future it would ever have would be a total of 3. Currently it has 2

So 1 vote for the Hunter Pro C-300

Is the Toro TMC 212 OD decent?

Last edited by fall46; 08-13-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know why he suggested that you buy your own but an ESP 4 M outdoor from sprinklerwarehouse is a good choice.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't install homeowner-provided equipment.