Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Might move to North Carolina

My girlfriend is about to move to greensboro to do a 10 month dietetic internship, then will become a registered dietician. Most likely she'll be offered a job in the surrounding area, she's amazing, brilliant, and is going to be widely successful.

Now, if an offer is on the table, I'm probably going to sell the accounts I have under contract and move there with her, and start from scratch. I'm still a small solo operation, so to sell off the few years I spent building it doesn't really bother me. New Jersey is insanely expensive to live in.

What's the market like down there? Is it over saturated already? Or is there room to grow a business? Any info would be amazing, I'm just in the beginning stages of considering it.

Big pluses for moving:

rent is about 50% or less than what it is up here. From what I've seen, the apartments that go for $1500 plus here are like 5-700 max down there.

The market here is fine, but because cost of living is so high it's harder to sell full service plans.

My parents live in lillington, my dad teaches at Campbell medical school. So greensboro is a short drive away.

Taxes for a home start at 5k here. Down there my parents taxes are under 1k.

Also, how much snow do you guys get in the area? Would it be worth selling off my snow equipment? Or could I make a killing offering emergency snow management.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of snow this year but before this winter we had serval warm winters with not much snow.. The problem here is most of the time when you get snow it is gone the very next day because it gets warm enough to melt it.. So not really sure about the snow equipment I do not have any but if I did I could of made lots of extra money this year but down here we might go another 10 years before we see the kinda snow we had this winter. Can't speak the the Greensboro market but the Winston Salem market is pretty saturated but I really do think there are still plenty of yards for everyone. You will probably have to lower your price range down here though those prices you get up there you will not get down here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360lawncare View Post
Lots of snow this year but before this winter we had serval warm winters with not much snow.. The problem here is most of the time when you get snow it is gone the very next day because it gets warm enough to melt it.. So not really sure about the snow equipment I do not have any but if I did I could of made lots of extra money this year but down here we might go another 10 years before we see the kinda snow we had this winter. Can't speak the the Greensboro market but the Winston Salem market is pretty saturated but I really do think there are still plenty of yards for everyone. You will probably have to lower your price range down here though those prices you get up there you will not get down here.
Posted via Mobile Device

What is the going rate for an acre there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yankees stay home.............just kidding.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Yankees stay home.............just kidding.
Yeah yeah yeah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll definitely notice a difference in the price of thing's. I lived in New Brunswick for 2 year's in the 90's and just for fun i compared the cost of car insurance for a 6 month period, in NC = $750 In NJ = $1500, and that's just one example. The cost of living is cheaper here but the wage's are lower so expect that.

I think the LCO market is heavily saturated. It would be hard to get anything going but you never know.

Your snow equipment is probably going to be under-utilized here. You might be able to use it 2 or 3 day's a year. It just doesn't stay cold for very long.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know the wages are lower, but honestly from what I've seen the lower cost of living more than out weighs the slightly lower wages. It also depends, in my girlfriend's profession, the average wages in nc and nj are the same. Lawns go for a little less there, but I'm skilled and a good salesman. I don't think id have that much trouble. I wouldn't mind making a little less cutting grass if my rent, car insurance, ect was cut in half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I moved from So California to Bamaland in 1992, I herd all the bs about low wages everyone is poor etc.

I can assure anyone that the Standard of living in the South far exceeds Jersey and California.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure I try and get 40 a hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would have a tough time finding a $700 apt you'd want to live in. As has been pointed out the cost of living is less (I'm from NJ) but the wages tend to follow as well. Your mowing season will be longer. You will sweat a lot more. Sometimes the temp won't go below 80 degrees at night in July Aug. Housing market in Greensboro is rather tight.