Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2002, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Peerless 915 Transmission Problem

I have a John Deere GX95 rear engine lawn mower, it has performed flawlessly since I got it, two days ago I was mowing and heard some clangor coming from the bottom, it only lasted a second so I figuered it was a rock and kept going, when I came back from mowing our yard to park it I found that I couldn't shift the mower into reverse, and with further checking that I couldn't shift it into 5th gear either, I looked it over today and saw a 1 inch break in the housing of the transmission with fluid leaking out of it, I'm sure now that I need a new transmission, but the local John Deere dealer quoted me at 500 with labor and parts, is that high?, is there anything that could have caused the break, it has been run for probably about 1200hrs so far with no problems, the only thing I can think that would have caused it was a couple of times my little brother took the mower up to the top of the mountain behind our house in the neighborhood (approx 1000ft climb), our yard in the house we just moved to has a 25degree slope in the front (about 75 by 50ft area of a 1 acre lot) which I mow up and down, could that be hurting the transmission...I know its a lot of questions but I'm kinda at a blank...Thanks for any help
Old 08-04-2002, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look over your transmission and see if you can find the model number. Call any tecumseh(sp?) dealer and ask their price for a new transmission. If you can put it in it will save some money. If the john deere price includes labor, then it sound about right. A gear drive normally runs between 2 and 400 dollars.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Garden Way Mower-915 transaxle Failure

I had the same type of failure in August 2002. I ran over what I thougt was a rock. It was a piece of the Peerless transaxle case/
Model #915-029. The Garden Way/Troy Built 33" Tecumseh driven mower is about 2.5 years old, well maintained. The transaxle will cost between $265-$400 plus shipping.

I have a hole in the casing that was initially about the size of a half dollar, but since then some of the case pieces have fallen inside the case and the hole is now about 3.5". Looks like this could be an inherent defect in the case.

You can purchase a video that details the disassembly and assembly of the 900 series transaxle.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

post all the numbers off of your transaxle and I'll see if I can locate a more reasonably priced replacement.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

well I got the lawnmower back from the shop, charged me 430 dollars for a transmission and 90 for labor and they also replaced some knobs and I got touch up paint, they did a good job, but pretty expensive, although this tractor was 9 years old but very well maintained, but now its like having a brand new lawn mower...