Register free!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer injector

Just had a call requesting a fertilizer injector. I have only seen one (think it was called Gator) at the toy store, never installed or heard of anyone installing them around here. Doesn't the chem screw up the nozzles... and what about overspray on structures and hardscapes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I installed one of these http://www.ezfloinjection.com/1-2.asp earlier this year. It has not clogged any nozzles, and has not affected the hardscape. I don't remember what fertilizer we used though.

Make sure if you install one, the system has an RP for a backflow preventer. Absolutely no AVB or PVB. Not sure about the DCV with the use of a fertilizing unit.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive installed about 10 of them and within 2 yrs they all broke. The connecters to the main line is a POS . Do a search , its in here.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RPZ only with a fertilizer injector, and some towns still will forbid their use. I guess they couldn't hassle you if you employed an air break.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link DanaMac, I will print out specs before I see him on Wed. Not seeing the ranch (said to be 2 acres of landscape) is hard to speculate what is needed and involved. Hope irrigation was professionally installed... LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I wouldn't install one because of possible liability issues.
Also I believe that an R.P. would be required on both the irrigation system and the potable line to the house. Out here you need "containment" at the property line, which is typically where our water meters are located.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Being a ranch I am assuming a well. I agree and usually deter customers from injectors (if the conversatioin strikes). The "landscape expos" for HO's typically run Jan - Feb. Just had a small show last month. i usually get strange requests after HO's see some cracked out vendor's new invention. Some of those guys can sell ice to an Eskimo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've also installed several EZ-Flo systems. They use a water soluable fertilizer. Never had a problem with any one of them, even with drip and micro's.

Really easy to install, good solid parts. Installation on an existing system is about an 1 - 1 1/2 hours. RP before each one of them.

Mick
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have installed hundreds and beta tested a few models prior to release to the public. If your doing two acres your going to need something more than the homeowner cheapo models like the EZ flow, fertigator, etc. You will need a RP for whatever system you install.

First you need to decide what kind of product you will inject. If its a cheap high volume product like UN 32 you can use one of the doso models like a Dosatron or Dosmatic. If you are going to us a more concentrated product like some of the bridge products that combine synthetic nutrients and organics you will need a more sophisticated system.

The doso's are water driven motors that pump product, they make a loud clunking noise every stroke. They will run you 600-800 bucks, the wye strainer will run you an additional 400 if you are on a 2" line. As far as maint goes you need to replace the gaskets on the injector every season. Cost about 100 bucks and 40 min.

More sophisticated is a electric pump with a flow meter that you program to inject ppm or every x gallons. You can buy complete ready to install packages from about 1,500 bucks last time I checked. They go up from there.

I suggest you contact this guy for some direction, his name is Dan Lee http://www.biofeed.us/contact.shtml He got me involved years ago and almost all my properties have injectors in use.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Ive installed about 10 of them and within 2 yrs they all broke. The connecters to the main line is a POS . Do a search , its in here.
These 2 connecters on the main are what I see breaking. Even tols the rep at a show to start making them out of stainless steel. He replyed , in his finest rep voice " wow, thats the first Ive heard of that happening"
Attached Images