Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

landscaper/ grass cutter

I just moved to the great state of Texas from the state of Mississippi. I am a licensed Landscaper in MS and LA; and after researching licenses in Texas I discovered you do not have to be licensed to landscape. Now I see all of these "landscapers" out mowing grass with a sign on their trucks advertising a landscape service. So anyone with a wheelbarrow and a shovel can be called "landscapers"? Can someone help me understand this. Am I looking at this wrong?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the lawn care and landscaping business my friend!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this how Ohio rolls as well? You would think there would be some kind of regulation/licensing. Now, I am trying to become a licensed irrigator here (taking the test next month). It is not easy, which is a good thing; as to keep out the "not so skilled". So why not the landscapers too? How about all the revenue that could be made by Landscape licensing because we all know "it's all about the money". Its crazy.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think in the majority of states you don't need a 'landscaping license' Even if it was required it wouldn't do much honestly, if you're going to run an illegal business not paying taxes or having insurance, the fact that you dont have a landscape license won't stop you especially since they won't enforce it well. Myself running a legit business, I would rather not have yet another added charge from the great state of New Jersey, that won't fix a d*mn thing thats wrong with the industry. Don't get me wrong, if it would be enforced and help eliminate the fly by nights I'd support it 100% but it won't. Just like the contractors license and the irrigation licenses I carry, it's just another way for the state to take extra $$$
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It does make it difficult on people like us who have the licensing and insurance etc.etc.etc.etc. trying to do it the right way when others are out there low balling and unprofessional. You would think home owners would prefer a company that is legit and professional looking at least. I see some people working in yards that are dressed like straight up criminals.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do you really think every business is completely legit!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape dawg View Post
It does make it difficult on people like us who have the licensing and insurance etc.etc.etc.etc. trying to do it the right way when others are out there low balling and unprofessional. You would think home owners would prefer a company that is legit and professional looking at least. I see some people working in yards that are dressed like straight up criminals.
Don't get me wrong, if it would be enforced and actually get rid of the lowballers who don't have any insurance, licenses etc I'd be absolutely 100% all for it. But they'll always be there, I already have insurance on a half dozen trucks, equipment, gen. liablity, tree insurance, workmans comp, contractors lic, irrigation lic, sales tax, income tax, etc to pay so my prices are on the higher side of the spectrum but I still keep busy working in places the lowballers can only dream of working at. All these fly by nights will always be in the industry, unfortunately, so I would rather be able to keep my overhead where it is now, over adding yet another fee I have to pay.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

nope. not for one minute do I think all businesses are on the up and up. I guess I went off on a tangent. What I was really getting at is that I am upset that someone with no credentials whatsoever can claim to be a landscaper; they just need a wheelbarrow and some mowers.