Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

todays drainage project

I reluctantly took on this job. This is the job I have spoke of in the past where the original landscaper and PM did a horrible job and the home owner wanted answers. Well i was the only one how gave him some so he asked me to tackle the job.

The problem was that because the original soil prep was non existent the water would run off the lawn because the soil couldn't absorb it in this area and the boxwood were planted in the same crap the hole dug for the plants became a water dish.

So we popped out the plants in the front of the bed (the back didn't seem to have the drainage issue I think because I chain trenched the main right under that area) and dug a 1' wide by 1.5' trench. Then augered 4' deep holes every 3' down to clean sand. Then filled the holes and trench with clean sand and replanted the boxwood. We took out about 6 yards of crap by shovel and wheel barrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I envy your ambition to tackle this job. I would have passed. Looks like lots o crap to shovel.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttering Stan View Post
I envy your ambition to tackle this job. I would have passed. Looks like lots o crap to shovel.
I didn't want to but I felt like I could either fix the problem and show the owner what was wrong or continue to be blamed for over watering. It sucked I haven't worke that har in years. The dump truck was 250' away and we had wheel out the clay and wheel in the sand. Also I am not really set up for this work, I had to borrow the dump truck and a few wheel barrows and rent the auger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I didn't want to but I felt like I could either fix the problem and show the owner what was wrong or continue to be blamed for over watering. It sucked I haven't worke that har in years. The dump truck was 250' away and we had wheel out the clay and wheel in the sand. Also I am not really set up for this work, I had to borrow the dump truck and a few wheel barrows and rent the auger.
Posted via Mobile Device
you looks like you got a handle on the water issue here, looks good.

if i were to make a comment it would be, stone in place of sand, but it's your backyard so you should know what to use.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoulda borrowed some workers too, for the hauling. :-)

I probably would have filled the holes with p-gravel. Not sure which way is really better.

Curious, what will you do for the non-absorbing lawn areas? Core it and fill with sand and/or peatmoss material?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The sand works well in this area my brother does a lot of this work and has had much success. As for the lawn its not my gig but I sugested coring as a place to start but if its like the area I was working it won't do much
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
you looks like you got a handle on the water issue here, looks good.

if i were to make a comment it would be, stone in place of sand, but it's your backyard so you should know what to use.
I had the same thought. Always go with a washed drain rock, but as Jim said you know your neighborhood and your business. As always it looks like you did a great job.

This kind of situation is my life. I live in a world of compacted decomposed granite. Safe to build foundations on...it's not so bad when you are equipped for it. I don't even think about it anymore. Jackhammer, remove dirt, load in skid, put in dump, grab dirt/rock replace...Ad nauseam.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am ignorant, being I live on a gianormous sand bar. What is decomposed granite? Any different than plain old granite?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I am ignorant, being I live on a gianormous sand bar. What is decomposed granite? Any different than plain old granite?
"Decomposed granite, known as DG for short as a building material, is granite rock that has eroded into smaller coarse or tiny gravel over millions of years. Decomposed granite is often mixed with cement to form a certain type of concrete." -wikipedia.

Granite is tough, but at least it bust off in chunks.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGOS View Post
"Decomposed granite, known as DG for short as a building material, is granite rock that has eroded into smaller coarse or tiny gravel over millions of years. Decomposed granite is often mixed with cement to form a certain type of concrete." -wikipedia.

Granite is tough, but at least it bust off in chunks.
do you find dg difficult to roll or compact? the right amount of water seems to change daily.