Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What have your employee(s) done this year?

What have y'all's employee or employees done this year? I'll lead off.
In a matter of 6 months, my guy broke a window ($55), lost the bag to my exmark metro 26" ($150), had a blower stolen out of the back of the truck ($180), and almost cost me two customers which woulve been about $300/month combined.
I can't completely blame the blower on him because I didn't have it locked up to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

employee 1) in the matter of three months: Broke a kick panel window in the brand new excavator $200. broke a window on the door of the same excavator (multi paned) $450. Lost his license to drive from his third DUI.

Employee 2) the mechanic (if you call him that) grounded TWO solenoids, in a row wrong, blowing them ($65 each). Changed breaks on a truck that didnt need them to be changed ($100). Drove the bobcat into an enclosed trailer ($200). Did a head gasket job on the loader that didnt need a head gasket ($500)

employee 3) going home literally twice a day to let his dog out to pee (took me a few months to catch that)

Employee 4) so much excessive personal cell phones use I can't calculate time loss and just the other night left in the middle of a busy snow plow route, to drive across town and give his wife a ride to work, in the company truck because "the roads were too icy and dangerous for her to drive her OWN car"??

yea that guy isn't fired... yet.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you guys

I really like reading stuff like this allot. I am an owner operator that has considered a second team from time to time. When I read posts like this it teaches me to keep just enough to keep me really busy and not make that leap.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had one just not show up last Tuesday. He decided to quite but not tell anybody.

Earlier this year I had to buy 3 new trimmers cause they ran straight gas through them

It a unnecessary evil if you want to move past certain milestones you eventually bring people in to work for you
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GQLL, that sucks about that guy being a No call-No show. That screws everybody.
I agree that it's a necessary evil to have employees if u wanna grow. There's only so much that one person can do. Does having employees intrude on profit margins? Absolutely. It's a loss/gain comparison that will be different for every company. But, I believe that it can help you and your company in the right circumstances and with the right people helping.
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

employee 1- numerous gutters ran over, bent a mower blade by not turning off blades while loading onto the trailer, result was 4-5 lawns scalped down to 1" about 3-4" wide each pass. Shot a rock and broke a window in the process. Took both of them 5 yards to see the scalping . Needless to say they didnt run the 60" anymore. Lost the rock customer, not a big deal as she was a PITA.

Employee 2- got accused of putting a rock through a window on a lawn that 10" lawn that hadn't been cut in 3 weeks because of the siding guys. The "rock" didnt even go through the window. We did not pay for this, the guys still owes us like $350. We will no longer be working for renters.

Other than that not to bad, some ruts, holes. Both of these guys were brand new this year
Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
We had one just not show up last Tuesday. He decided to quite but not tell anybody.

Earlier this year I had to buy 3 new trimmers cause they ran straight gas through them

It a unnecessary evil if you want to move past certain milestones you eventually bring people in to work for you
Whoever did that is simply just an idiot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any employees yet, but some things at my old job that happened last year:

1) guy used a zero turn around a massive drainage pit when I told him to use the walkbehind. Know it all idiot decided not to listen and sent a brand new 60" ferris ZTR into the pit.

2) pick up truck with a load of pavers, not strapped down, sent them through the back window when he stopped short.

3) know it all idiot from before through all our lunch trash on the lawn of someone he disliked while I was driving the truck. We show up to the next house to have this guy and a friend of his show up, he swung a rock at me, and ended up getting knocked out by my idiot coworker. Went to court for this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok pennings wins haha. I think a fist fight trumps all

My ex employee called on sunday night saying he wont be at work monday or ever, hes moving to NC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I've resorted to part-time employees.

I have 3 guys who I rotate in and out between their other jobs-they've all been around awhile, and know what to do without any babysitting.

The 1 guy I did hire this spring got the typical "mid-summer fade", and just kinda disappeared.