Register free!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back from England and Sweden. Just some thoughts.

The best part of London is people watching. Nice to see chicks be chicks with high heels and skirts. Fashions can get wild
Always include a play in your London trip.
London is already getting serious about the 2012 olympics. Cranes and security checks everywhere. 2011 might be a great time to visit london.
People do crazy stuff to earn money around the London Eye ferris wheel.
Brits don't get in line they que. Brit lines are long but move really fast security and all.
85% of the cars could never get by our safety standards. Why the brits are so paranoid about global warming is beyond me. They put us to shame.
The weather is not partly cloudy to a brit. It is sunny intervals.
London is the World but Stockholm is Sweden. You can live in London and never have an English friend.
Both countries suck at food. Spend your money on cast ales, fish and chips, and pickled herring. (with ales of course)
England is a great place to send your kid to college. The drinking age is 18, no need for a car, public drinking is allowed. No DUI or DWI fears.
The swedes are liberal but unlike ours they aren't pretentious overbearing pr!cks. No bike helmets and their kids jump off cliffs in the fjords. They also profile at the airport. Every muslim looking person was taken aside for a full body scan. They also don't allow anchor babies. damn nice people though.
Nothing finer than seeing a Swedish girl riding an old fashioned bike with a chain guard, kick stand, and a basket in a dress with her purse slung over her shoulder going to work. And she ain't wearing a friggin bike helmet.
The Vasa Museum is one of the finest museums I've been in.
I'm going back to Sweden someday but I'm going to find the real Swedes. They aren't paying 20 bucks for a hamburger.
Most of both countries would have fits with our ADA. The last place you want to be in a wheelchair is London. I kind of admire they didn't spend a trillion dollars so 1% of the population can have full access.
The biggest difference between us and them is we are a country built on lawsuits. Lawyers have f@cked us so bad in this country.
Mind the Gap is my new catch phrase for possible pitfalls in life.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say it...

Sweet pics..

LOL JK..hope you had a blast brother.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you had fun. Good to see you're back. What kind of sprinkler do they use?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How's the market for metric pigtails?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was in the UK, I ate a lot of Greek and Asian food. Both were very good, in fact the UK is where I fell in love with Greek food. The only 2 things the English do well as far as food is concerned are breakfast (it's all fried, fried ham, fried eggs, fried tomatos, etc.) and the Plowman's Lunch, which consists of a hunk of bread (the European's make the BEST bread), a hunk of cheese, an apple and a pint. Other than that, any English food you consume is guaranteed to make a swift departure...

Glad you had a good time. Did you get a chance to travel around the UK any or were you only in London? We wandered around London one day when the Underground was broken and saw a lot of really interesting things that we never would have had we not walked. The parks there are really something.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

England's food traditions hearken back to their being an island nation with limited options.

I liked John Cleese's answer to the English food question - "Hey, we had an empire to run!"
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Saw lots of London. My daughter has the subway system down to a science. went to Camden which is a hot spot with youth these days. i've been to London before so I had no interest in the usual tourist meccas. The London Eye is pretty cool. Saw the alley where the barber of fleet street dragged his victims and did two ale tours of old english pubs. Kind of surprised the Swedes don't have much in beer but imports.
i have two cousins I'm close to that we spent time with. Mainly it was catching up with Audrey. I'll get some pics up soon.
Rode a crazy airline to Sweden called Ryan Air. Literally a bus in the sky. It's great because you can get all over the EU cheap if you don't mind having carry on weighing less than 10KGs and no second item. They handed out flight mags and then picked them back up. The seats don't recline.it was a bus set up. They were even looking into standing up for short flights to allow for more passengers.
Also renting a gps in Sweden may have been the smartest thing I did.
You are right that breakfast is the brit specialty and the swedes aren't bad at it either. They are more sandwich oriented but had out caviar and some awesome jams.
The brits suck at coffee as well but the swedes at least put out a pot.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drink tea.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My great aunt from Clun, England just visited us for 6 weeks. I've been to london as well as traveled through englad and europe. Great places!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't dining in Scandinavia all about aquavit and gravlax?