Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo SRM 260 S adjusting carburetor

I have a couple of Echo SRM 260 S string trimmers that the carburetors needs to be adjusted. I can't afford to pay the dealer to adjust them every 30 to 60 days. The trimmers are two and three years old, the grey ones, not the orange ones that have come out last year.

Is the adjustment inside the carburetor? Is it the needle valve that you see when you open the carburetor with half of it plastic coated the other half metal what you adjust? If yes, can someone post a picture of the tool used to adjust it? How you adjust it? Can you take a pair of small needle nose pliers and adjust it?

I'm so sick of this poorly engineered equipment. I bought a brand new SRM 265 high torque and within 30 days the carburetor needed adjusting. Dealer adjusted it under warrranty. Couple of weeks later it needed adjusting again.
This time the dealer put a new carburetor on it. To make a long story short
the carburetor needed adjusting three more times while under warranty. Now it is out of warrranty and needs adjusting again. This is ridiculous. My SRM
2601 1998 Model still runs today and never has had an adjustment.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo shows two different Walbro carburetors depending on the serial
number of your trimmer. So what I need from you is the serial number
off your Echo SRM-260S trimmer and an email address to send the
information to. You can simply send me that information in a PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of my echos have a little screw on the back side of the carb its covered up with a plastic insert, now take a little screw and start it to pull the plastic insert out and the flat head screw is there, stick your screw driver in and run the machine wide open and adjust left or right till it runs good I have to do this to all mine, redmax to.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnstar View Post
I'm so sick of this poorly engineered equipment. I bought a brand new SRM 265 high torque and within 30 days the carburetor needed adjusting. Thanks
Well the good news is teh 265 has adjustment needles(2) that you should be able to adjust with a special screw driver. The reason for not having a big external screw adjustment is caused by EPA. Some of the early 260 units did not have adjustable needles on them, the later ones did. If they have them they are hide by a plastic cap on both the 260 and 265. If no hidden needles then you are correct you will have to turn that needle. The best way is to slide a piece of insulation from a small wire onto the needle and turn it. Be sure to mark it so you know how much you turn it. It is painful. You have to look long and hard to fine units now with external visable adjustment.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I own the SRM 261 T not the the 265.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3 documents have been sent to your email address.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

SRM 260S carburater Adjustment

I have an ECHO SRM 260S that has given me running problems for years. I asked the dealer that sold it to me if the carburater could be adjusted because I could only keep it running with the choke partially on. I was told there was no adjustment, and that I should try different brands of gasoline, or clean and rebuild the carburater. These suggestions worked. I finally purchased a new carburater ECHO p/n A021000700. While it ran better, it still wasn't right. After reading the post by ilc79 on this forum, I looked closely and saw the small hole with the adjusting screw. Needless to say, I was able to make the adjustment, and it worked great. I then looked at the original carburater and found it also had an adjusting screw, but it was covered with a white plastic plug which I removed using a small screw as described in the post. If I had know about this hidden adjusting screw early on, I could have saved the cost of two rebuild kits and a new carburater. Now I have one further question. If I had the need to clean the carburater, can that little adjusting screw be backed out of the hole so I could clean it and blow it out? It it a pointed needle valve with some kind of spring to keep it from turning from vibration? I don't dare try to back it out, for fear something will go out of place and I will not be able to put it back in.

Thanks guys for your help
Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caranheim View Post
I have an ECHO SRM 260S that has given me running problems for years. I asked the dealer that sold it to me if the carburater could be adjusted because I could only keep it running with the choke partially on. I was told there was no adjustment, and that I should try different brands of gasoline, or clean and rebuild the carburater. These suggestions worked. I finally purchased a new carburater ECHO p/n A021000700. While it ran better, it still wasn't right. After reading the post by ilc79 on this forum, I looked closely and saw the small hole with the adjusting screw. Needless to say, I was able to make the adjustment, and it worked great. I then looked at the original carburater and found it also had an adjusting screw, but it was covered with a white plastic plug which I removed using a small screw as described in the post. If I had know about this hidden adjusting screw early on, I could have saved the cost of two rebuild kits and a new carburater. Now I have one further question. If I had the need to clean the carburater, can that little adjusting screw be backed out of the hole so I could clean it and blow it out? It it a pointed needle valve with some kind of spring to keep it from turning from vibration? I don't dare try to back it out, for fear something will go out of place and I will not be able to put it back in.

Thanks guys for your help
It can be backed out...but it is better to blow it out from inside out and not outside in.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

ed2hess:
Thanks for your reply stating I can remove the mixture screw. Is there some kind of spring that keeps the screw from moving with vibration? If I try blowing air from the inside out, I worry about a possible spring blowing out as well.
By the way, there is partial error in my post. I said:
"I was told there was no adjustment, and that I should try different brands of gasoline, or clean and rebuild the carburater. These suggestions worked". I should have said these suggestions "partially worked". The engine never realy ran right from day one. The dealer said it will run better over time when the engine breaks in. This never happened. For four years I fought with it until reading about the mixture screw hidden in a small hole. After being told there was no adjustment on the carburetor, it did not look close enough. When I finally backed out the screw a little, it ran much better. It was just running too lean. I may put a small piece of tape over the hole so no dirt gets into it to be safe.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caranheim View Post
ed2hess:
Thanks for your reply stating I can remove the mixture screw. Is there some kind of spring that keeps the screw from moving with vibration? If I try blowing air from the inside out, I worry about a possible spring blowing out as well.
By the way, there is partial error in my post. I said:
"I was told there was no adjustment, and that I should try different brands of gasoline, or clean and rebuild the carburater. These suggestions worked". I should have said these suggestions "partially worked". The engine never realy ran right from day one. The dealer said it will run better over time when the engine breaks in. This never happened. For four years I fought with it until reading about the mixture screw hidden in a small hole. After being told there was no adjustment on the carburetor, it did not look close enough. When I finally backed out the screw a little, it ran much better. It was just running too lean. I may put a small piece of tape over the hole so no dirt gets into it to be safe.
No springs inside. I bet 80% of the units start having problems and guys scrap them and/or change to stihl. I got units that I do a little rebuild on tha go on and on and on. The 260-261-265 are all winners. They didn't put a two adjustment on the 260 for awhile but you could buy one for it.