Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Computer guys, question about billing software please help

Hey guys so I'm up at Best Buy right now looking at these mini-laptops strictly for the lawn business. They have 1GB Memory and a 160 GB Hard Drive. They do not have enough memory to run quickbooks, but have plenty for keeping contact information and taking notes. They also have enough to hold pics from yards I do.

My question is, is there a software for creating invoices that would not take up very much memory. I've heard of gopher and a few others. Just wondering if they're small enough to run on here, thanks for any help.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Mini Laptop or Netbook

Netbooks and some mini laptops are not really designed for running demanding software. In fact most netbooks do not even have a cd/dvd slot to make it easy to install software that is not downloaded. We tested these for some of our remote workers and they did not work out well at all. We ended up spending only about $150/laptop to move up to mid performance laptops running Windows 7. Our remote users now run anthing from Office 2007 to 2D Cadd programs with no issues.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

We use this fantastic billing platform called Freshbooks. It's all online and they have iphone apps too.

It takes away the need to actually have a piece of software on the laptops that are on the road. You can do estimates and send them to clients, and they can just click on a link to approve them and move forward.

We use it for a different purpose, as we're an online web-company, and we use it to bill our clients - who are usually home improvement pros - but we've always thought that it'd work well for those who are on the road and need quick billing. You can even tie it to a payment processor, and do monthly billing in case you have customers who have regular payment schedules.

Hope that helps. Take a look at try it out.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

hosted web based services

I have to agree that web based hosted services are an excellent alternative to reduce cost while providing functionality. With hosted solutions your company does not need to focus on IT but can focus on your core business.