Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

One of those customers RANT

Yup,

I got one of those jobs. One of my guys goes over there to do some work and gets it taken care of. Gives pricing before the job and all is a go. He was moving pretty quick because he had some 6 stops to make that day.

Get a call couple days later from the engineer son who starts complaining about how we made the repair. Wanted it done a different way that was against code and a "patch" but would've been cheaper than a replacement.

We left a solenoid open a tad on something we did so it looked like what we did was leaking and of course he jumped all on that about how we did a shoddy job.

As were in the conversation he is complaining about the price, the "leak" and how we charged too much for what we did. He looked up our parts cost somewhere online I am assuming and keeps repeating over and over how much my material "cost" was. So then he tells me he canceled payment on the credit card. I went by and fixed the issues, and honestly dont know and dont care what ends up happening on the payment. I am ticked off I got so mad about it.

I know my price was probably 15% better than any of my competitors for a fact.

Anyway just venting. Its like sometimes people want you to come out and work for charity. I get tired of people always thinking contractors are always out to get them some days. They didnt even give me a chance to make it right before totally overreacting. Then they are an armchair expert even though they were too flipping lazy to go out there and chop through the roots and rock and fix it themselves. Everyone forgets about all the garbage we have to deal with on a daily basis. Heaven forbid we make a profit on a job and pay for the ones we get screwed on.

When I have to deal with guys like this it puts me in a bad mood for a few days which ticks me off even more.

So what can you guys tell me that will put me in a better mood for the SLAMMED upcoming week I have got?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem is your rate is 15% cheaper than your competitors. You are aiding the race to the bottom of the pricing structure. If you pay peanuts, you get monkees.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My licensed, and experienced tech gave the customer a better price because of the other work he did. He also felt he could finish it in a shorter amount of time becuase of his experience. My 15% comment applies to "call around" type quotes from professional contractors.

This was not a low ball job my friend. This is a quality job at a fair price.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him to stick it in his azz. He agreed to it, you did the work. Nuff said. Take him to court if he won't pay. He agreed to the price, you came back and fixed the problem, yet he stopped payment. Isn't that fraud?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When the boiler repair guy (doubt he was the license holder) came to my MIL's house, he looked over the problem, wrote up a repair estimate and price and had her sign it before he would do the work. Flat rate (yeah I know). Hard to dispute a charge when you agreed to it in writing. Although paying by credit card does give some advantage to the customer. Filing a lien is your only legal recourse. Note I said legal.

Some irrigation repairs *could* be an up front charge. Exploratory time has to be T&M though.

There are some people who make a habit out of canceling payment and repairs below $500. They figure the contractor won't go to court since it's not worth the contractors time and expense especially the lawyers fee. They don't pay, stop payment on checks or just tell the cc company that they are disputing charges because the work was shoddy.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never lost a CC dispute where I could prove I actually did the work I billed for. I haven't had one in the last 4 years or so either. I'd fight the dispute and if for some stupid reason I lost it, I'd file a lien.

What customers don't understand, or care about, is that even in our Southern climate, we've only got about 6 months or feal work to cover our expenses and make a profit for the entire year. They want someone reliable but in order to remain in business, we've got to charge enough so that we can gross what is required for 12 months of operations between March and September. That means we're not selling parts for the same price you can buy them online. I know I've never represented myself as a parts house and that's one of the reasons we flat rate most of our repairs. When we give a flat rate for parts and labor they can't really complain about what you charged for the material since they don't really know what that was.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Tell him to stick it in his azz. He agreed to it, you did the work. Nuff said. Take him to court if he won't pay. He agreed to the price, you came back and fixed the problem, yet he stopped payment. Isn't that fraud?
See there dana you just brightened my evening! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I've never lost a CC dispute where I could prove I actually did the work I billed for.
What has been sufficient for proof that work was actually done?

What happens if the customer claims that yes you did the work, but it does not perform correctly?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Second'd; Amen!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What a biatch. New customers should be treated like a crime scene. Once they pass muster then you can add them to the stable of decent individuals that deserve the honor of being your customer.