Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If you dont have enough strength to unscrew a freaking gas cap then how are you going to handle holding the actual trimmer?! And im pretty sure that anyone would agree with me when i say that the new stihl gas caps are NOT user friendly.
I have screwed the old caps on, and had to find a screwdriver to get them open. So your statement is one of the dumbest ive heard.

.[/QUOTE]And im pretty sure that anyone would agree with me when i say that the new stihl gas caps are NOT user friendly..[/QUOTE]

Guess your wrong again...I, as well as others in this thread, like the new caps and think they are user friendly.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
they probably get sick of reading all of you whinning about these caps. how many threads has there been on people whinning about how terrible these caps are.

i've got posts on all of them.

the problem with the caps seems to be a hit and miss situation. some people have trouble and others done. some like them and some don't

i'm one of those that haven't had any problems and i love the caps. i wish i could replace the caps on my older stihl equipment with these.
I agree these are better caps. European based forums are not riddled with this complaint, for some reason the problems seem to be mostly in the USA.
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok just wait another season and youll see what everyones complaining about. youll be saying the same thing the rest of us are saying.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
ok just wait another season and youll see what everyones complaining about. youll be saying the same thing the rest of us are saying.
doubt it. i'm not a complainer. i would probably just contact my dealer and get a new cap.

but i have better things to do with my time than complain about a mistake made by a human.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't posted on this site in years and I found this thread in a google search. So I logged in to post that the caps suck.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

haha then why do you keep on replying to this thread then......? Thank you turfmower!

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
haha then why do you keep on replying to this thread then......? Thank you turfmower!
have you red one complaint from me in this thread? didn't i say i wouldn't complain? thats totally different than posting how much i love the new caps and that i don't have a problem with mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
have you red one complaint from me in this thread? didn't i say i wouldn't complain? thats totally different than posting how much i love the new caps and that i don't have a problem with mine.
Perhaps people try forcing the caps to go on incorrectly when they first get them. In time the caps become disfigured and difficult to either open or close. I don't understand the complaints, I never had a problem with mine and most of my machines were used commercially for a while. When you are used to the caps you quickly come to realize that they are superior to the older screw on caps. I remember when I was doing tree work back in the 80's and seeing some screw-on caps vibrating loose and spilling fuel; if this happens in a tree a groundsman could get hit with fuel. Not to mention the time wasted having to climb back out of the tree. The half moon caps close more positively and I prefer them. Keep the o-ring clean and check the triangular space on the tank mouth to be sure that the cap is on correctly, if it is your good to go.
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictrik View Post
Perhaps people try forcing the caps to go on incorrectly when they first get them. In time the caps become disfigured and difficult to either open or close. I don't understand the complaints, I never had a problem with mine and most of my machines were used commercially for a while. When you are used to the caps you quickly come to realize that they are superior to the older screw on caps. I remember when I was doing tree work back in the 80's and seeing some screw-on caps vibrating loose and spilling fuel; if this happens in a tree a groundsman could get hit with fuel. Not to mention the time wasted having to climb back out of the tree. The half moon caps close more positively and I prefer them. Keep the o-ring clean and check the triangular space on the tank mouth to be sure that the cap is on correctly, if it is your good to go.
i don't understand the complaints either. but i also don't understand the people that have been able to spell out in detail how the caps work.

i just use them. i can use them with my eyes shut. i've never read the manual that my trimmer with that cap came with. i have no idea how they are engineered. i just use it. no cleaning the o-ring or checking any triangular spaces. put it on the tank mouth turn it and flip it down and i'm on my way.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

As a current Stihl dealer we have also been disgusted with the new gas and oil caps, but they seem to be here to stay and Stihl HAS warrantied every broken, damaged, etc cap so far, even ones outside of warranty. Also we were just informed today by our TSM that Stihl has recognized the problems and has made changes to current distributor inventory and all future inventory, including changes to all replacement caps.....for what it's worth
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl