Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREMER4 View Post
As a current Stihl dealer we have also been disgusted with the new gas and oil caps, but they seem to be here to stay and Stihl HAS warrantied every broken, damaged, etc cap so far, even ones outside of warranty. Also we were just informed today by our TSM that Stihl has recognized the problems and has made changes to current distributor inventory and all future inventory, including changes to all replacement caps.....for what it's worth
Posted via Mobile Device
I will have to get a few replacement caps. It seem that they are hardest to get off when the weather is hot. Really hard to flip up the latch sometimes.
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i don't understand the complaints either. but i also don't understand the people that have been able to spell out in detail how the caps work.

i just use them. i can use them with my eyes shut. i've never read the manual that my trimmer with that cap came with. i have no idea how they are engineered. i just use it. no cleaning the o-ring or checking any triangular spaces. put it on the tank mouth turn it and flip it down and i'm on my way.
Well, lol... Sometimes one must try to explain what is for many of us common sense or second nature. I am just trying to figure out what could possibly be the problem for apparently so many. Looking at the cap I could only imagine that there would be a problem if one were to force it closed the wrong way. I too have no problem with these caps and can close them without looking at them. You can feel when they are closed. As I said before I do not see or here of complaints in Europe where they sell an awful lot of Stihl products.
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl caps

I have read this topic for a few years and thought some people just did not
understand how to read directions, untill just this afternoon, and I had
the same problem of sticking and not wanting to come off properly,as
in twenty minutes of extreme displeasure in taking off a simple fuel cap.
Yeah, now there is a problem.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictrik View Post
I am just trying to figure out what could possibly be the problem for apparently so many. As I said before I do not see or here of complaints in Europe where they sell an awful lot of Stihl products.
I explained what I think is an engineering or manufacturing ptoblem. Your claims that no one in Europe is having any problem leads me to believe that it must be a manufacturing problem here in the States. Are the machines that you use manufactured here in the States or in Germany?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I explained what I think is an engineering or manufacturing ptoblem. Your claims that no one in Europe is having any problem leads me to believe that it must be a manufacturing problem here in the States. Are the machines that you use manufactured here in the States or in Germany?
i'm not trying to ask a stupid question but aren't all stihl products manufactured in the same place?

i seriously don't know. i thought wherever the product was from is where it was manufactured and then shipped all over the world.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i'm not trying to ask a stupid question but aren't all stihl products manufactured in the same place?

i seriously don't know. i thought wherever the product was from is where it was manufactured and then shipped all over the world.
The Stihl machines we use here are, for the most part, maunfactured here. Mahle makes the castings and Stihl makes the plastics in Virginia Beach or somewhere real close to there. Then the the machines are assembled there in VB.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

I have to say I didn't read the whole thread, but yes, the gas caps are a PITA. I have them on all of my hand tools and sometimes it is tedious to get them back on. It is all about the user, but they are not very user friendly. I have never had any issues with breakage or leakage from the caps. Good design, bad implementation. I hate them, but love the rest of the tool.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREMER4 View Post
As a current Stihl dealer we have also been disgusted with the new gas and oil caps, but they seem to be here to stay and Stihl HAS warrantied every broken, damaged, etc cap so far, even ones outside of warranty. Also we were just informed today by our TSM that Stihl has recognized the problems and has made changes to current distributor inventory and all future inventory, including changes to all replacement caps.....for what it's worth
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he is correct. I sent an email to Stihl complaining about my caps. They sent me a little pack of replacements with a nice letter. The new caps look like they have slightly smaller "little triangles", and they go on a little easier.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 22 pieces of stihl equipment with this style of cap. I have had trouble with 4 caps. 2 of them wouldnt latch properly from the time they were new, a new cap fixed both of these. The other 2 came apart.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys guys!!! 9 or 10 pages of complains here and I saw threads like this in the pass of the same topic.

Why don't you guys arrange and write a patition to Stihl and threaten to change brand if they don't do something. That would be more productive than spend the time gribbing here!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl